Prep For Inspection

Business By sheBakes3000 Updated 23 Mar 2018 , 3:54am by cakefan92

sheBakes3000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheBakes3000 Posted 22 Mar 2018 , 7:06am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I am starting a home bakery business in Ohio. I just had my labels approved by the food safety inspector and I have a kitchen inspection coming up next week. I will be able to get my license once I pass this inspection. The problem is the department of agriculture is not disclosing how to prepare for the inspection. The only thing they told me was there can be no pets, no carpet, and a thermometer needs to be in the fridge to show its colder than 40 degrees. But, what about cleaning, light fixtures, and storage areas? What do they check? What are they looking for? Any help is appreciated. I understand that different states have different rules, so general advice is fine. I'd like to learn about your inspection experiences as well.

Thanks so much!

3 replies
mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 22 Mar 2018 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 4

Your local health dept. might have a booklet on regulations. I'm not sure of rules for in home bakery but 1st for me would be foodhandler's card. I'd  add  a thermometer for oven, Clorox for dishes and countertops, light covers, no fans blowing in. Just stand in your kitchen and start  in one corner and work your way around the whole  room and nitpick the whole room. On my 1st inspection the health officer even open the closet for the hot water tank and got down and looked underneath it. I guess for cobwebs. LOL Good luck and think positive.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2018 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 4

Boy, each inspector is different.  mahtc2016 has a great idea of you starting in one corner & work your way around the room nitpicking.  Good luck!   

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 23 Mar 2018 , 3:54am
post #4 of 4

Just remember that your inspector can be the best source of information. Follow him around and pick his brain - - ask any and all questions you can think of.  He's not the enemy - - he's there to help you.  Get to know him and let him know you.  You'd be surprised what a difference that can make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%