Mum's Birthday Cake

Decorating By Helen5125 Updated 17 Mar 2018 , 8:44pm by kakeladi

Helen5125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helen5125 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:59am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I'm a keen baker but have never before tried decorating with flowers etc...

My friend uses royal icing for doing her flowers. Should I use royal icing or sugarpaste? And I presume you use a little wet icing to stick them?

If I were to use cake lace, how do I attach it to the cake?

Thanks

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 3

Do you have time to practice piping flowers or making them from sugar paste?  Neither is that simple, if you are doing it for the first time.  If you do have some time, either can be mastered, it just depends upon the look you wish to achieve.  Don't forget buttercream, which is also used for piping flowers.

Yes, a small amount of frosting will secure piped flowers.  Sugar paste flowers are usually either just layed on top of the cake or, if wired, insert a drinking straw or posy pick into the cake, then put the wire stem inside the straw to keep it away from the cake.

I use a thick edible glue made from Tylose and water for adhering cake lace.  I put it on the cake, not the lace because too much moisture will dissolve the lace.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 3

It's not the mediun used that makes it hard - it's how well you adapt to it.   I learned to decorate with buttercream icing.  Using royal  & gumpaste was soooo very hard for me.  I finally did adapt to gumpaste easier than royal.    Also royal flowers are toothbreakers :(  I would not use them unless there was NO other way.  B'cream flowers do dry enough to handle well when you use a recipe that has less 'fat' than sugar  - called crusting.  I kept them on hand for several months.  Just in a box in a dark closet so I didn't have to worry about last minute orders :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%