What Is Wrong With People These Days?

Lounge By cakefan92 Updated 21 Mar 2018 , 7:05pm by kakeladi

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 26

I've really tried not to be negative and keeping in mind that I'm suffering from a lack of sleep, etc., I really don't want to be critical.  But what are people thinking?!!?

I've been watching a LOT of youtube videos lately on different decorating techniques.  The current crop of "decorators" is disappointing, to say the least.  I watched one lady demonstrating easy, quick petit fours.  She reached up and played with her hair and then IMMEDIATELY picked up the pound cake with the same hand. Most of the women with long hair have it hanging down and over their shoulders and I've only seen one (and he was a guy) with any kind of covering on his hair. No gloves on any of them, and don't even get me started on the fake nails!

Is it just me or does this bother anybody else?

25 replies
Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 26

The fake nails/nail polish bothers me most. Gross!

That said, I figure they don't wear gloves or put their hair up because they're just making a video to show how to do stuff--not making it to sell or serve to public, you know? But they could at least edit out the bits where they do things like touch their face!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 26

I've never understood how people do pastry or cake work with fake nails. I think some of these people too have never been through any kind of formal training or had to take sanitation classes, get a food handler's card (ServeSafe), etc. Which, not everyone has too. People that work in food should know basic sanitation if you are selling to the public, but I've worked around people that have been trained and still don't. 

And,it is just a demo video, but yeah, don't rub your face or touch your hair and not edit it out. 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 26

We had a couple of cooks in our restaurant who absolutely refused to get rid of their acrylic nails, even though they're against Health Dept. regulations.  We put them on notice that if the health inspector even saw their nails, they would be fired on the spot. Needless to say, when he came in, they disappeared.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 26

martha stewart and lots of chefs do not use proper sanitation when they do tv -- I am glad that they started getting serious about hand washing when using raw poultry etc.

some chefs on tv lick the spoon and put it back in -- you know they do -- but they are getting better about it 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 26

When I watch demos of food prep on youtube or tv it is just that, a demo.  What they are making (hopefully) won't be sold or being fed to the masses so no gloves, no hair covering, etc isn't really an issue for me.  Now if I looked into an actual restaurant or bakery kitchen and saw people scratching their nose or licking their fingers and then continued making my food, that would be a major issue.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 26

freckles -- so better we can't see in there hahahahahaahh yoiks!

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 26

-k8memphis...yup!  I'd just rather not know what goes on behind the scenes.  I'd rather just stay being blissfully naive LOL!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 26

and I like well done burgers and fries -- but I dread having to send anything back -- 'course i'd just eat the fries wilty as is -- but I can't eat meat that's red -- so I shudder to think what might happen to it when I can't see it -- agh!! 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 26

So one day I was at my neighborhood mega-market at the cold cut counter and the deli man was separating the paper for the cold cuts by blowing on them.  Needless to say (after I stopped gagging) I declined getting cold cuts and went straight to the manager.  I have not bought anything from the deli counter again.

I fear the problem with that and the above posts is the don't edit it out because they don't think there's a problem so there's nothing they think they have to edit  That's the scary part!  Meanwhile I wash my hands constantly when I'm cooking/baking/anything and I'm not in  the food service business!

I do see a lot of videos where they are wearing gloves, however!

Theresa

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 26

Just to be sure I'm understood.....most of the time I woked in my bakeries (in 2 different states) I never used a hairnet and seldom wore gloves - yes even after taking SafeServe classes - but washed hands continually :)     {Back then (some 30 yrs ago) it was not mentioned - at least the ones I attended}    I work as a demenstrator in a grocery store (handing out samples to encourage people to buy a product) and am required to wear not only a hair net but a hat on top of it, an apron and gloves at all times even the few times when the product we are 'pitching' isn't food.  The men also use beard hairnets.     

I too watch many of those videos and tv programs and cringe constantly when I see long (especially stragly) hair and putting a spoon or finger back into food - for a taste :(   I don't know why tv shows allow such nastyness!   Videos I can understand - there is no one to police those.  Never thought about fake nails as I have never had any.   

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 26

theresa -- how 'bout licking your fingers to separate the bags at the check out counter hahahaha-- at the drug store!! omg

stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 26

kakeladi -- yes we either never wore hairnets or only wore them when the inspector came -- 70's 80's 90's

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 26

Kate - ICKKKKKK (although sometimes i do say something to them - but then I'm just some crazy lady.  again!)

and then when that happens i pay by swiping my credit card bc there's no way i want them handing me change

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 26

it's rough out there bowtie

and then I mean if the server is talking while carrying the plates of food out dot dot dot

blush

kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 26

Oh K8 do I know what  you mean......as I mentioned I demo (mostly) food products trying to get you to buy it and have noticed how much I spit/droll etc (for lack of better words) when I have to be talking constantly (which is required!).   They make us wear hair nets, hatand gloves  but don't consider that.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:27pm
post #17 of 26

servers need face masks hahahahahahaha omg how have we survived this long huh

kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:46pm
post #18 of 26

We survived by not thinking about such things!!

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 26

yeah -- just eat and don't dare think about the particulars hahahaha

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 9:34pm
post #20 of 26

I was a psw for 20 years and took tons of training on infection control. You wouldn’t want to know some of the stuff I know!!!!! I can say, nail beds are THEY worst bacteria carriers. When I wash my hands, I scrub my fingernails first, then my hands. We were required to keep our nails very short. When I was in hospital last year for surgery, I was totally shocked at how many nurses had long nails AND nail polish. Huge no no for us as I did a lot of personal care. Who wants to be jabbed with long fingernails??? And nails with polish chipped off...yuuuuukkk!!  If I filmed a decorating tutorial, not sure I’d wear gloves, but for sure I would have my hair tied up. I actually tie my hair up and wear a hairnet when I’m working on my cakes. And yes, I’d edit out rubbing nose, face etc. As far as restaurants, gotta say K8memphis...ignorance is bliss. But I’ve had food poisoning twice..not something I recommend...

kakeladi Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 26

I had a short talk w/one of my co workers the other day.  She was telling us never to eat/consume anything that is made with tomatoes. She worked for a very well known brand name canner here in the US.  Mentioned how many BIG, fat WORMS get through the system - YUK!!  But I still love my catsup, pizza, speghetti and so much more:)  Yrs ago a friend said her brother worked w/inspecting meat processing plants and if we knew the tiniest fraction of what went on there we would never touch any meat.   I just have to take such talk w/a grain of salt and go on with 'igorance is bliss'. 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 12:44am
post #22 of 26

By law all processed foods and food products are allowed a certain amount of insects/insect parts... hair... feces (from various sources)... and other icky stuff... 

It is just the norm... 

And with all I know with my biology degree and microbiology in particular... I still will eat just about anything... including insects, worms, etc...

jchuck Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 1:02am
post #23 of 26

Hey AAtKT I actually chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers this past wknd

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 10:49pm
post #24 of 26

I don't particularly like the chocolate covered ants... I find them bitter...

But pan fried maggots are good...   

jchuck Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 1:28pm
post #25 of 26

Hmmmm...pan fried maggots, now there’s a treat!!

kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2018 , 7:05pm
post #26 of 26

Has anyone watch the tv program "Naked & Afraid"?  I like to see what things they end up finding to eat.  Termites, snakes and the heart of trees  are  favorites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%