Icing Dispenser?

Decorating By craftybanana2 Updated 20 Mar 2018 , 3:30am by craftybanana2

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all,

I am thinking about getting something like this to help me with the really stiff icing: https://www.target.com/p/nordic-ware-29-piece-decorating-kit/-/A-50883760, minus the tips. Has anyone used this particular kind? I have a problem with keeping my piping consistent (and the icing from seeping out the top when I squeeze), especially with the really thick, decorator icing. I don't need the tips as I have plenty, so hopefully I can find it solo (or I'll give the tips to my niece). If not, what do you people use who have problems with their hands? I don't have arthritis, but I do have a similar problem when the weather is cold with one of my hands.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 6

that's pretty cool -- i'd suggest put less icing in the bag to keep it from squishing out the top -- and less icing will empty the bag quicker which mean you heat it up less -- but I don't think your issue is heating up the icing but ...--

the only time I use thick decorator icing i'm piping roses so that's quick short bursts of piping not long continuous borders or anything -- 

the arthritis i'm going to get rid of any minute now means I don't pipe or cake anymore -- my hands are shot -- not from cakin' but from the arthritis -- but actually i'm in process of getting my hair tested so I can hopefully find some way off the prescription drugs and get better -- instead of treating symptoms -- try to resolve the matter -- so I just have had to stop a lot of manual activities 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 6

that little pressing unit has been sold as an aid to clean writing with a piping bag, for years.   That's the first time I've seen it with a multitude of other tips.  You could probably use both hands to squeeze the unit if needed. 

craftybanana2 Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 1:41am
post #4 of 6

Thank you! I think I'll see if I can get it solo. I didn't think about it helping with writing as well. I guess that writing would translate to royal icing on cakes. I'm thinking about doing more cookies than cakes though, easier to take to gatherings. But royal on cakes has intrigued me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

As K8 mentions filling a bag only about 1/2 full and folding it should keep icing from squeezing out the back.  You fold the corners down  triangle style  then fold it all twice.  Hold the bag in your palm and squeeze your hand sort of like you would milk a cow.  Also there are gimics available (I think Wilton makes some) that you can put on the end of the bag which are suppose to keep it from leaking out the end.  It sounds to me like you need to thin your icing some.   It shouldn't be so thick it hurts your hands when piping. 

I'm w/K8 - the hands are shot from decorating sooooo much over the 30 some yrs I did :(   I only take meds for it - also have arthritis in the neck/spine also :( - 3 times a week.  Helps some but not completely.   

craftybanana2 Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 3:30am
post #6 of 6

Thanks y'all. I just watched an online Craftsy video and the instructor said the exact same thing.... I think I'm getting the "get as much done as I can bug" since I'm due very soon. I'll fill my bag less instead of buying that (and use couplers more). I'm trying to plan out my son's cake for next month, but I know I'll be working on very little sleep. Oh, and my hand only hurts when it's cold out since I have a fluid bump right on top of my hand. Doctor said they can drain it, but that it'll come back eventually. I'm a two-handed piper I guess, ha ha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%