Packaged Fillings For Cake?

Baking By lvdenver Updated 13 Mar 2018 , 1:13pm by sylly

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 4

Hello Bakers.....

I am not new, but Rarely post.  Today is another thing......I have a question.....

How do I know if my packaged filling has gone Bad?  I have Raspberry Fruit, and Either Bavarian or Pastry cream.

To be honest, they are probably three years old, have been kept in Cool, Dark place, and Look Perfectly fine through the Clear Vacuum packaging. 

Can anyone help me with this?

Christie

3 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

Three years old seems an awful long time to have kept them without using them... 

The ones that I have seen at my Cake Shop I pick up stuff at have dates on them... I presume it is a sell by or best buy, but I never looked so closely...

I am guessing that they are "expired"...  especially since alot of online places say they only keep six months or a year...

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 13 Mar 2018 , 12:17am
post #3 of 4

AAtKT 

Thank you for responding.  Yes, three years Is a long time, but I don't 'Do' cakes very often.  It was a few years back that I really Got In To trying to decorate (but nothing really ever ended up On a cake).  It was then that I went to my first Baking Supply store, which is actually a Warehouse. 

I went Crazy buying things!  Those fillings being among what I bought.  Then I got bored with trying to decorate, and the packages got put on a shelf. 

And now, it's a few years later.....And the 'Thinking I Could actually make and decorate' a cake itch is back.

Thanks for your input    :)

sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 13 Mar 2018 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 4

I would toss them- lol! If we were talking twinkies, that might be a different story. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%