Decorating Supplies

Decorating By connk05 Updated 12 Mar 2018 , 11:07pm by kakeladi

connk05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connk05 Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 2

Hi i am just beginning to explore cake decorating. I was just wondering what supplies i need to begin? are there any kits that you would recommend that aren't too pricey?

Thanks!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 2

I do not recommend kits.  Usually there is more than 1/2 that will not be used for one reason or another :(  You need bags - either parchment that you roll yourself or the ready made ones; tips for piping and an off-set spatula.  I prefere the small one for 99.9% of my work.  A super large piping bag with a quick icer tip for adding b'cream icing to you cakes.  A turntable of some kind- either a 'lazysusan' or one from Wilton.  Paste or gel food colors;  A mixer - can be hand held or heavy duty stand mixer; and of course some baking pans - most people start with a few rounds like 8", 10" and maybe 12".  A 'sheet cake pan' like a 9x12 (or 13").  Do invest in straight sided ones that are 2" deep.  I think Wilton pans are fine to start with but others might disagree w/me on that :)  If/when you get into this wonderful craft 'big-time' then you can spend the money on more professional equipment.   Look for used equipment - maybe on eBay or simular sites for less expensive items. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%