Standing Buttercream Or Royal Icing Cake Topper

Decorating By KelsAKeeper Updated 10 Mar 2018 , 7:56pm by kakeladi

KelsAKeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelsAKeeper Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 6:36am
post #1 of 4

Hi, everyone 

I’d like to make a Ford V8 symbol cake topper, but an upright, standing topper for an 8”, 4 layer cake. 

I’m pretty decent at buttercream transfers, and I could probably pull off a royal icing or even candy melts transfer; however, I’d like it to stand up rather than lay flat on the cake. 

I’ve thought about attaching a buttercream transfer to a cake round and securing it with toothpicks, straws, etc. I just don’t know what will hold up best. 

Thanks so much! Standing Buttercream Or Royal Icing Cake Topper

3 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 4

You could try putting the transfer on fondant mixed with tylose, gumpaste, or pastillage.  They will dry hard and stand up like you want.  Add toothpicks to the back of the design is you need some extra support.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 4

My thinking is exactly the same as cutiger's.  I wouldn't even use a transfer, just cut the logo from fortified (with Tylose) fondant, gum paste or pastillage.  Pastillage is the strongest of the three.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 4

A good crusting b'cream should stand up on fondant as the others have said or on a small cake round.  It would depend on the weather.  Candy melts would have the same problem.  The only sure one would be royal icing.    Personally, I'd try a b'cream transfer onto a fondant backing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%