Wedding Cake

Baking By Wmbakes Updated 9 Mar 2018 , 9:01pm by kakeladi

Wmbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wmbakes Posted 9 Mar 2018 , 10:10am
post #1 of 6

Hi all !

My friend is getting married and him and his bride to be have asked me to make their wedding cake ! i’ve decided to let go of my fears and do my first one ! 

Forgive me if any of these questions are silly ... I just wanted to ask about transporting the cake ! . It’s a 4 tier cake .... would I have to put them in boxes individually and carry them (drive them in a car ?) like normal cakes and set up at the venue ? It’s a buttercream cake sponge and red velvet cake

also what is the best way to stack the cake to ensure sturdiness and that the cakes won’t collapse ?

thanks !

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Mar 2018 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Wmbakes,

There are dozens of videoes on YouTube showing how to support and stack a tiered cake.  Here are a couple of my favorites.

I've never had a problem transporting tall cakes with them assembled (I also use the central dowel anchored into the cake board), but now, whenever possible, I deliver in individual boxes and stack at the venue.  Much less stressful for me and I don't have to scream at my husband to slow down and don't slam on brakes!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Mar 2018 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 6

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 9 Mar 2018 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 6

I always stack at the venue. Too many dirt roads around here, and even the paved roads are awfully rough. It's better for my peace of mind to stack the tiers at the venue rather than drive with a stacked cake.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Mar 2018 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 6

WYBee you mentioned cakes will be buttercream covered, but not when the wedding will be, specifically the weather. Very warm humid weather plays havoc with any cake, but really with buttercream cakes. I thought you might be interested in a transportation system for your cakes you could make yourself. I have a good professional cake decorator friend who does a lot of buttercream cakes, and a lot of summer weddings. She made this delivery box, and said it worked wonderfully.

https://avaloncakesschool.com/delivery-box/

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2018 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, where you live will have a  big impact on how to deliver your cakes :)      I have done 100s of b'cream  tiered cakes.  Most of them I delivered completely stacked, finished.  The great majority of them did just fine -- and that was before learning on here to chill the cakes well before transporting.  Yes, there were a couple of disasters - we all have one now and then.   Where I lived most of that time it was HOT in the summer (100+ not unusual) but dry - no humidity to speak of.  It also might depend on what you have for transportation as to boxing each tier and setting up at the venue vs already stacked.  Cakes need to be on a flat surface -- the floor.   NO putting it on the seat.  (I don't even like the thought of using a rolled up towel or such to make a seat seem flat.)  Do you have something like a station wagon or SUV?   Will the boxed cakes be within the air condiditoned part of the car?  These are just a few of the things you need to think about :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%