Box Or From Scratch

Baking By bortiz0810 Updated 8 Mar 2018 , 11:09pm by bubs1stbirthday

bortiz0810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bortiz0810 Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 10

Hi I'm new at baking and wondered if any one makes cakes from a mix or is this forum solely from scratch? I have tried making a cake from scratch several times but the taste is always a little off. When I use a cake mix everyone raves about them. I have to make a birthday cake this weekend (nothing fancy) and wondered if you can freeze a box cake like you can a from scratch cake? Thanks everyone!!

9 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 10

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/761922/no-one-yet-knows-the-difference-between-store-box-mix-and-scratch-cakes-why-bother

I asked the exact same question when I first arrived, now I know that it's all good!  I've tried them all, and they all have a place for someone somewhere and you should try them all.blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 10

Exactly as MBalaska said, they are all good and most (even professionals) people use both at one time or another.  One of the most widely used recipes in the cake decorating world is kakeladi's Original WASC (White Almoond Sour Cream), which is what is called a doctored cake mix.  Really there are more added ingredients thank there is cake mix, and it is divine!  It can be adapted to just about any flavor and is sturdy enough for easy stacking and carving.  One of my favorite recipes and the only one I use that isn't a scratch recipe.  Her recipe is posted on this site.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 10

I built my entire decorating 30+ years career using box mixes!    Please know many others on here have also.  I do remember one customer who upon learning I used box mix say words along this line:  "Yeah, but I could *never* get even a box mix to taste as good as your cakes!"   Do try this recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 10

Here's just a little history on the *original* WASC recipe.   I found the basic recipe in an old, old issue of a cake decorating magazine.  The lady who offered it was very, VERY well know in the decorating world back then.  She said it was a mix of scratch and box that she developed to be a pound cake texture without all the fuss of making a pound cake (at least as I remember now)  to save her time as her business grew, and grew.  When people never knew she was using a box mix and kept requesting 'such wonderful cake' she knew she had developed something good:)   Years after she retired she offered the recipe to the magazine.  Since it was very old (we're talking back into the 1950s!) some of the ingredients (mainly brands) were no longer available so I adapted them to what was currently available - that was maybe 20-25 years ago now.   (Oh my!  where have the years flown!  I've tried to remember just how long ago I made that recipe and when I 1st posted it.  Not sure exactly)   

When another decorator adapted/changed my recipe for her business of 'white wedding cakes'  there developed much discussion/arguing about which version was better I altered the title adding  *original* so people would know the original from the other decorators version.  So folks just kept on baking up a storm using the *original* or some other version and keep making happy memories for all your customers out there!  It's no sin to use a box mix.  It's the LOVE that we all put into our baking that makes others happy! :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 10

was that other decorator's initials rs?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 10

I do 99.99% scratch. I’ve been baking a long time, over 50 years. Takes time to learn to bake, and find tried and true recipes. And there are so many recipes on the web, it’s daunting. I have a TON of cookbooks, baking books saved over many years. Here is a site on the web I use a lot. Great recipes. I’ve never had a failure making one of the cakes.

https://www.cakepaperparty.com/

I don’t use cake mixes for one reason. Most are full of unhealthy chemicals. Here in Canada where I live, I can purchase a store brand organic boxed cake mix for a reasonable price. I will use this when I’m in a rush. When these cake mixes go on sale, I’ll pick a few up to keep on hand, just in case.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 10

Whatever works best for you and those consuming your cakes.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 10

I bake only for family and friends.

I bake from scratch except when making GF cakes - then it's box mixes all the way for me. GF biscuits/slices I do from scratch.

I enjoy baking and the science behind what makes it all work and love playing round with recipes to try and alter them. I spend a lot of time baking one recipe over and over until I get it just how I want it, for me that's half the fun of baking, :-)

I have a Banana, Lemon, Vanilla and Chocolate cake recipe that are my faves, I often alter the Vanilla a little to get different flavours and my Vanilla cake was adapted from my Lemon yoghurt cake. If I want a fluffy Vanilla cake I adjust my Chocolate cake to make it Vanilla. I have also just started playing around with a Victoria sponge cake recipe which is delicious. Haha - too much time on my hands gives me plenty of practice time (and the figure to match ;-) ) 

My husband never has an issue with the freezer full of cake when I am playing with a new recipe either lol.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 10

I bake only for family and friends.

I bake from scratch except when making GF cakes - then it's box mixes all the way for me. GF biscuits/slices I do from scratch.

I enjoy baking and the science behind what makes it all work and love playing round with recipes to try and alter them. I spend a lot of time baking one recipe over and over until I get it just how I want it, for me that's half the fun of baking, :-)

I have a Banana, Lemon, Vanilla and Chocolate cake recipe that are my faves, I often alter the Vanilla a little to get different flavours and my Vanilla cake was adapted from my Lemon yoghurt cake. If I want a fluffy Vanilla cake I adjust my Chocolate cake to make it Vanilla. I have also just started playing around with a Victoria sponge cake recipe which is delicious. Haha - too much time on my hands gives me plenty of practice time (and the figure to match ;-) ) 

My husband never has an issue with the freezer full of cake when I am playing with a new recipe either lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%