Green Tomato Cake Anyone?

Baking By kakeladi Updated 3 Mar 2018 , 3:35pm by SandraSmiley

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2018 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 16

I have baked up at least a 1/2 dozen of this and everyone has just raved about it.   Also green tomato pie.   Anyone for some good eating?? 

15 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Feb 2018 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 16

Say WHAT?  I think we need a recipe!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Feb 2018 , 2:35am
post #3 of 16

My toms are taking forever to ripen but I have just made a batch of Green Tomato Pickles but I didn't realise there was anything else you could do with them.

What does a green tomato cake taste like?

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Feb 2018 , 2:42am
post #4 of 16

I've had fried green tomatoes, after all, we fry everything in the south, and they are divine, but I've never even had a green tomato pickle.  Bet they are delicious!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Feb 2018 , 9:57am
post #5 of 16

Green tomato pickles are great - mix of vinegar, sugar, onion, sugar, green tomatoes and some spices, cooked down into a 'jam' and then used on a ham sandwich or with corned beef etc. 

I haven't ever tried just cooking them and eating them, might have to give them a go :-) 

Do you just cook slices of them off in a fry pan or do you mean you deep fry them?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Feb 2018 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 16

My Mom fried green tomatoes, and made green tomato relish. Never green tomato cake. But I assume this cake would be similar to a zucchini cake/bread/loaf. You put tomato/zucchini in a processor, chop finely and add to the cake to create moistness. Doesn’t add flavour, just moistness. 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 28 Feb 2018 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 16

Did anyone else ever have chow-chow?  We used to eat it on our black-eyed peas, but I haven't had any for years since I never learned to make it.

kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2018 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 16

The recipe I have used is very much like a zucchini bread but much moister.  I've always baked it in a 9x13 flat dish.  I think it would be good as a loaf/bread.   Several people have thought it was either apple or pineapple cake :)  So far I've cut it into verysmall (maybe 1 1/2" cubes).  I don't have the recipe with me today or I'd post it.   Also have the gr tom pie and a couple of 'savory' recipes - I got them off the internet :)  I've been wordering how it would work for a tiered cake since it is so very moist.  Never have iced mine but I thought about sprinkling the next one w/powdered sugar - it's just that it's sweet enough w/o any extra.

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Feb 2018 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 16

bubs1stbirthday, we just roll the green tomato slices (cut between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick) in seasoned flour, or a mixture of flour and cornmeal, and fry them in a skillet.  I guess you could deep fry, if you wanted to.  For seasoning, I use salt, pepper and paprika.

jchuck Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 2:53am
post #10 of 16

Well cakefan92...your “chow chow” is just another name for green tomato relish. As soon as I googled, and saw a recipe, I recognized it straightaway. Helped my Mom make it all the time. Unfortunately, I don’t have the space in my backyard for too many tomato plants. Obviously the more tomatoes you grow, the more green tomatoes you get at the end of the season. Found a recipe for you. Pretty easy.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/elizabeths-green-tomato-chow-chow-99941

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 16

jchuck - thank you!  I don't think it's quite the same but could be family variations.  The stuff we ate had lots of peppercorns and was quite spicy.   I think I might try this anyway.

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 16

I've eaten chow chow many times with a bunch of different variations, all yummy.  In the south, we eat it with black-eyed peas, pinto beans, lots of things.

June, we grow our tomatoes in big pots on the deck.  It doesn't take but a couple of plants to provide ample fruit for a small family.

jchuck Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 16

I am sure there are a ton of variations. Depending on where your from. Each individuals own twist on the recipe.

Last 2 years growing our tomatoes in pots hasn't been very successful. Gonna have to research a better type of tomato suitable for container growing.

kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2018 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 16

Here's the recipe I have used:

GREEN TOMATO CAKE

2 1/2 cups sugar

3 eggs

1 cup oil

2 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups a.p. flour

2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon EACH salt and cninnamon

2 1/2 cups tomatoes

OPTIONAL ADD-INS: up to 1 cup: raisins; chopped nuts; chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F;  Grease 9x13 pan.  In bowl mix 1st 4 ingredients ('wet ing.') mixing until smooth and creamy.  In a large bowl sift together all 'dry ingredeints' (through seasonings) then add the oil mixture blending well.  Stir in tomatoes, then any options you are using.  Pour into prepared pan and bake 1 hour - untill pick in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan about 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. 

CHANGES I HAVE MADE SOMETIMES:    Decreased sugar to 2 cups; decreased salt.;  increased tomatoes to 3 - sometimes 3 1/2 cups;  used no options; other times used maybe 1/2 cup each raisins and chopped walnuts.  Usually the top is a bit sticky - especially once wrapped in waxed paper. 

Happy baking and eating everyone!! :)

kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2018 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 16

Here's the recipe I have used:

GREEN TOMATO CAKE

2 1/2 cups sugar

3 eggs

1 cup oil

2 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups a.p. flour

2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon EACH salt and cninnamon

2 1/2 cups tomatoes

OPTIONAL ADD-INS: up to 1 cup: raisins; chopped nuts; chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F;  Grease 9x13 pan.  In bowl mix 1st 4 ingredients ('wet ing.') mixing until smooth and creamy.  In a large bowl sift together all 'dry ingredeints' (through seasonings) then add the oil mixture blending well.  Stir in tomatoes, then any options you are using.  Pour into prepared pan and bake 1 hour - untill pick in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan about 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. 

CHANGES I HAVE MADE SOMETIMES:    Decreased sugar to 2 cups; decreased salt.;  increased tomatoes to 3 - sometimes 3 1/2 cups;  used no options; other times used maybe 1/2 cup each raisins and chopped walnuts.  Usually the top is a bit sticky - especially once wrapped in waxed paper. 

Happy baking and eating everyone!! :)

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, kakeladi!  I can't wait to get green tomatoes so I can give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%