Stacked Cakes Bowing Outwards...why?

Decorating By Anneliese671 Updated 28 Feb 2018 , 10:37pm by kakeladi

Anneliese671 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anneliese671 Posted 26 Feb 2018 , 3:49am
post #1 of 6

I made a 2-layered cake with a chocolate cake recipe that is very moist and dense. I didn't place the 8" layer on top of the 10" layer until about 4 hours before serving, and it was kept in a cold, air conditioned room until 30 mins before serving. I would like your opinion please as to why my cake has bowed out on the bottom tier. I have included pics of the bottom tier before I put the top layer on, so that you can get an idea of what it looked like before it bowed out. The bike was placed on top just before eating. (I used supports - jumbo straws - about 12 of them I think in the bottom tier).....I don't remember this being a problem before with previous cakes (used the same chocolate cake and the same fondant recipe)...the only change I made was that I used jumbo straws instead of lollipop sticks for supports. Perhaps I need to look at a better support system? Thank you for your input. *Note: I have tried for 10 minutes to add photos....I am going to try to post to my album instead..something is wrong. Please take a moment to look!

5 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Feb 2018 , 11:08am
post #2 of 6

There is no picture but I am wondering of the amount of straws has actually affected the integrity of your cake.

12 straws is far too many to put into a 10 inch cake to support an 8 inch cake.

I am thinking that 5 of those bubble straws should have been adequate but I am not sure of the exact number, I am sure someone else who regularly stacks larger cakes (I use 4 in a 8 inch to hold up a 6 inch and I believe you can get away with 3 if they are placed perfectly) will be able to advise you there.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 26 Feb 2018 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

I didn't see a picture in your album, but a thought would be - were the straws cut to be just a teensy bit taller than the surface of the bottom tier?  I agree that too many straws might have affected the overall strength by breaking up the bottom layer. But also if the straws were below the surface level of the bottom tier, there would have been some weight on it from above.  Was your board covered in fondant?  the straws might have sunk into the fondant covering the board a bit, again allowing some pressure on the bottom tier before the top tier could settle on the tops of the straws.  HTH

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Feb 2018 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 6

I use the straws all the time and, to me, they seem more stable than even wooden dowels.  You did use more than I generally use.  My rule is to add one straw per inch of cake that will be resting upon them.  For instance, if I am putting a six inch tier on top of an eight inch tier, I use six straws in the eight inch tier to support the six inch tier.  Whew!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Feb 2018 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with yortma. Your straws were probably cut too short. And I agree with the others that you are using far too many straws. The beauty of bubble tea straws is that they are filled with cake, so they are less likely to tip over. That's what makes them superior to dowels. I, personally, use 5 straws under an 8" cake. I would advise no more than 6. Not only does too many straws compromise the structure of the cake, but the cake will be harder to cut and serve in that area.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2018 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

I have always thought 'less is more'.  If putting a 6" cake on top of any size I would only use 3 straws in a triangle fashion.  If putting an 8" on porbably only 5 - depending on the type of cake and it's weight - you get the picture. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%