Opening A Bakery Cafe, What Is A Acceptable Pay For A Current Home Based Awesome Wwedding Cake Decorateor?

Business By sblseph Updated 21 Feb 2018 , 11:01pm by SandraSmiley

sblseph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sblseph Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there, so I currently am a cottage food business started with cupcakes and then found a ninch in custom cookies. Known in my area as the cookie lady, although i still make cupcakes and cake pops also.  I have dappled in cake' s and fondant and it is just not my ninch. Husband is a chef and has been catering for large banks and goverment buildings. we are joining our food ninches in a cafe where we have our Health regulated kitchen to produce from . We have planned for bakers / cupcakes and cookie artist to train. But I want a experienced detailed cake artist to work in our cafe. We would plan to bake the cakes and buttercreams and i would want the cake artist to assemble and decorate them. Most of the cake artist are home bakers and I am asking them to come in my kitchen and craft their beautiful cakes. So how much per hour is reasonable for them.  

5 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 6

You should ask them what they are currently making and what they would need to earn in order to come work for you.

If you are taking these people away from their current jobs it will need to be worth their while to change jobs.

None of us can help you with this, it depends on the skill level of the cake artist and the area you live in.  

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, as MsGF quoted:

“None of us can help you with this, it depends on the skill level of the cake artist and the area you live in.”

This is also true of decorators who ask for cake pricing as well. Depends where you live..rural, small city, big city, your market...etc, etc. All has to be factored in. My advice is be prepared to pay a living wage. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2018 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 6

Along with what has already said, you need to know what the minimum wage is in your area.  Around here it is $11 an hour.  Then yhou have to factor in the skill level and area norm pricing - both for pay and selling finished cakes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2018 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 6

the conundrum here is you're asking for a home based decorator to work a bakery café -- home based decorators are typically slow so your per hour price needs to reflect that -- ten years ago -- I made about $13 or $14 an hour setting up wedding cakes here in elvistown -- plus I got $35 per delivery -- but I am very fast -- so you might want to price per cake if they haven't started out in a commercial place where they learned to be quick --

i'm not exactly understanding your business model -- I think you want an experienced detailed cake artist on the payroll and you are renting your kitchen to home bakers to use?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Feb 2018 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 6

I have the impression you want someone to teach cake decorating from your cafe business.  As others have said, you will just have to find someone who's work you admire and make them and offer or ask what it would take to have them work for/with you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%