Help!! School Contest!

Baking By Brandiib85 Updated 21 Feb 2018 , 12:32am by Brandiib85

Brandiib85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandiib85 Posted 15 Feb 2018 , 2:52am
post #1 of 7

My daughters school wants me to compete next week in their Cupcake Contest! I have only ever done my baking as a hobby! It’s space theme and will be judged on decoration and taste. Any ideas helpful! Hubby doesn’t want me to put fondant at all on Cupcake but rather make a beautiful display that could be out of fondant instead....what flavors too are your favorites?? Any helpful ideas appreciated! So NERVOUS!

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Feb 2018 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 7

First off, everyone seems to love chocolate, especially children.  Another popular flavor is strawberry.  If you frost the tops of your cupcakes, you can always use fondant stars and moons, which can easily be removed prior to eating.  The only other thing I know you could do is add colored sprinkles and that's not very space-like.  I believe there are fancy sprinkles in the sharp of stars.  I suggest you not be tempted to make navy blue buttercream to represent the night sky or everyone will have blue teeth and tongues, lol.

Don't be nervous.  This should be fun for you and your family.  Let it be a great learning experience.

Brandiib85 Posted 16 Feb 2018 , 1:44am
post #3 of 7

Thank you!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2018 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 7

Sandra offers some good suggestions.   Personally I don't care for strawberry but do love lemon - especially if poppyseeds are added:) And then there is butter pecan - ahhh such yum!   Here is a great recipe for you to use to boost the taste part of the contest:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 12:45am
post #5 of 7

LOL, kakeladi, oddly enough, I don't care for strawberry myself, beyond a couple of bites, but everywhere I carry a cake with a strawberry tier, it seems to go first.  Everyone else loves it.  Now the lemon and butter pecan you mentioned, yummy!  Those I do love, and Hummingbird (banana), Carrot, Key Lime, Pumpkin!

Brandiib85 Posted 21 Feb 2018 , 12:32am
post #6 of 7

Thank you ladies!! Let the taste test begin!

Brandiib85 Posted 21 Feb 2018 , 12:32am
post #7 of 7

Thank you ladies!! Let the taste test begin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%