Tasting Boxes

Business By kcampeau Updated 15 Feb 2018 , 3:27pm by -K8memphis

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 14 Feb 2018 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 5

I had posted before about my tasting boxes and they are going very very well with brides. To recap, I offer 4 actual slices of cake. I made a sheet cake, fill it and do a small bit of vanilla on the top as that is what I finish all cakes with, leaves the sides bare, slice and wrap with saran wrap. I freeze this and than pull out when the client selects that flavour. I make a fancy box with tissue paper, forks and knives and some info about their cake.

I have been thinking about offering it as a flat service to wedding customers. I have quite a few smaller weddings ($200-$350) who do not meet my minimum but still want to try the cake. So I was thinking of just offering cake tastings as a service where it is $30 for 4 flavours of their choice, they pick up and go. 

I was also thinking of not applying the tasting fee to the wedding order. I feel like this is a separate expense and order. I have had $1,000 cakes where the bride just trusts it is good cake and never orders but a $400 order who wants a tasting and full experience. I feel like my prices are low and instead of inflating them to incorporate these brides who want the experience I should just charge for the tasting outright and keep my prices lower. For comparison, I do $4 per serving buttercream and $5 for fondant and most places in my area are $0.50 to $3 more than me. 

Opinions?

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Feb 2018 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 5

Charging for the tasting separately from the wedding cake is a simple, fair, workable solution.  Unless I miss my guess, it would also eliminate the customers who are trying to go cheap.  Only serious clients will pay for a tasting up front.  Sounds like a good practice to me! 

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 14 Feb 2018 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 5

I think it's fair.   I charge $30 for a consult and 2 flavours to take home and try.    If they book their cake with me at the consult I apply the $30 to their 50% deposit.     By doing this I only get serious inquiries.  I have no one come for a consult and not book with me on that day.   So your ideas are fair and reasonable.   Doing consults and tastings is time consuming and we need to be compensated for them.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2018 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 5

charge for it -- yes good idea

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2018 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 5

I mean charge straight up -- not subtracting from wedding cake cost -- it's work! get paid! right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%