Bacon Covered Chocolate And Other Chocolate Things

Lounge By lexissweettooth Updated 13 Feb 2018 , 7:55pm by MBalaska

lexissweettooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexissweettooth Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 6

So, I have a week to prepare food for a milestone birthday (OK, the party is for me).  We have a donut theme (I've been dreaming of a donut party for the last 4 years lol) with homemade donut holes.  We are also going to have three flavorss of chocolate and a variety of things for people to dip into the chocolate, such as muffins, donut holes, and pretzels.  I think what I'm going to do is heat the chocolate in the microwave in jars or pyrex dishes and keep them hot by sitting them in hot water in the crockpot; there will be spoons in each chocolate for self-service.  The idea is that they pick what they want to eat and use the spoons to coat whatever they want in chocolate.  I have cherry chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips (possibly a combo of semisweet and milk chocolate chips), and Wilton's pink chocolate melts for the three chocolate options.  The party is in the morning so the idea is to have all of the food prepped and ready to take to the location of the party, except for the donut hole batter because those will be made that morning at the party's location.  (I promise I have a point to all of this)

With that being said, I am wanting to make bacon covered chocolate ahead of time so that hubby and I can focus on making the donut holes and get them done in time for the party.  Making it say a day or two ahead of time, it will still be good, right? I have never made it before but have eaten it.  I have thin sliced bacon.  I have also seen where people put shortening in chocolate to use it for dipping bacon, pretzels, or anything else.  I think I would like to put shortening in all three chocolates at the party and in the chocolate for the bacon, but I'm not sure of the ratio.  One ratio is 1 t. shortening to 1 oz. chocolate.  The other ratio is 1 T. shortening to 8 oz. chocolate.  Help, please.  How far ahead of time can I make the chocolate bacon, and how to I store it?  What ratios should I use?  Thank you.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 6

chocolate covered bacon scares me so I can't answer that --

but I just pour a tad of olive oil into my chocolate -- just test it -- mix in a tad of shortening and put a touch on a parchment -- let it set up and see if it's as tooth friendly as you like -- that's the reason why you do it -- so the choco isn't too brittle -- it still sets up but it's easier to eat -- doesn't crack so hard 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2018 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 6

I have used shortening (Crisco) in melted choco.  It really is only to make the choco thinner and for most things is not needed.  I LOVE, Love, love choco covered bacon.  Seems to me I have kept some for several day but don't really remember for sure.  I don't think you'd have much, if any problems.  If you have time, try one or 2  pieces to see how they hold up.  K8s idea ot using olive oil sounds like a good one to me :)

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 13 Feb 2018 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 6

The 1 tblsp shortening to 8 oz of chocolate is PLENTY.  With the other (1 tsp to 1 oz,) , you would have 8 oz of shortening in 8 oz of chocolate - way too much.  You just want to make the chocolate thinner so it doesn't clump.

Make sure your bacon is drained and patted dry with a paper towel.  You can make your bacon several days ahead of time but it will need to be stored in the fridge.  Not a problem, just make sure you have waxed paper between each layer.

Sounds like a hoot. Good luck.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 13 Feb 2018 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry, my math doesn't work on Tuesdays.  You would have 8 tsp of shortening in 8 oz of chocolate. Still, way too much.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Feb 2018 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

Bacon covered chocolate~~ is something that I tried in Seattle last year in a high end market.  It was very expensive, and tasted unpleasant.  I threw it out.  Chocolate covered potato chips, yes.  Chocolate covered pretzels, yes. chocolate covered fruit, yes. but the bacon was a no go.  It is nice on maple icing on donuts though. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%