Has Anyone Ever Used Round Pans And Cut Squares Of Cake From Them?

Baking By CupCake.Goddess Updated 14 Feb 2018 , 7:01pm by -K8memphis

CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 12

I have an order where the person wants a square cake but square pans are SO expensive?  I'm trying to see if I can use round pans, freeze the layers and carve them into squares for the bottom tiers.  I already have small cake pans for the top tiers that I caught on sale.  Lend me your knowledge Bakers! Muhahahahahaaaa

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 12

where are you located?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 12

Could you talk your clint into a cake with a combination of round and square tiers?  They make a beautiful cake.

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 12

I don’t have square pans either so I always cut them square. Works fine.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 12

I don't see why you couldn't.  Then use the leftover cake as either a snack for you or crumble it up for cake balls!

CupCake.Goddess Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 12

I'm in NC K8memphis! : ) Yes they do SandraSmiley but she wants squares.  (sigh)  If she doesn't put down a deposit, she's getting NADA!  Okay @Evy911 that works for me! I don't want to invest in pans if I don't have to you know?  Freckles0829, that is an amazing and very delicious idea!!  YUM!! : )

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 12

https://www.globalsugarart.com/cake-pan-set-of-3-square-2-inches-6-8-10-by-fat-daddio-39-s.html?fee=3&fep=9573&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9Maqzb2HXt6uxjPE0v2mGjbKybxfHJA6vnw0sEAO1wL19rEWUroTi8gaAlApEALw_wcB

and global sugar art gives you a 20% coupon for signing up with them -- i mean sure it's an expense but you're losing money squaring off round pans -- so it'd be like $31 plus shipping -- fat daddio's are not my favorite pan $32 and shipping is about ten bucks -- but i do understand money and doing the best you can with what you have -- and i applaud your make it happen attitude -- 

http://ultimatebaker.com/ -- these peeps have some kind of wholesale program -- this is where i bought most of my pans

CupCake.Goddess Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 12

K8memphis I'm losing money period because I undercharged her.  If I buy pans, I won't make any profit at all you know?  Ok, I like the word wholesale.  I'll buy them afterwards. : )

CupCake.Goddess Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 12

The wholesale one is a very cool site but why are the square pans always the most expensive?!  Geez. :(

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 12

oh i didn't realize what you charged -- oh but as far as 'making money' at first i always re-invested at least part if not all of my income in equipment* unless the kids needed something or i went out to eat, bought groceries, paid a bill :) --

*aka cake toy addiction ha!

CupCake.Goddess Posted 14 Feb 2018 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 12

That's a sound idea K8memphis.  She gave me some lame excuse about cancelling the party which I could tell was a lie but hey, no one gets a custom made two tiered, nine layered cake for $50.00.  These people are so cheap! The other one never got back to me on her cake either so.  At times I get frustrated and want to throw up my hands and quit but I don't see myself making a cake and charging what it costs for ingredients.  I don't spend all that time on cakes just because.  They can go to Walmart.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2018 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 12

try to conserve energy on clients who don't order -- it's part of doing business -- but it is aggravating -- just gotta wait for the lucrative fun ones

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%