Favorite Fondant For Non-Professional Use

Decorating By SJEmom Updated 7 Feb 2018 , 4:52am by Pucci Cakes

SJEmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJEmom Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 12

Been baking a while, but am not a professional baker. Preparing to make a cake for my husband's 50th birthday (making a Rubik's cube) and need to buy fondant (no patience to work with making it). Tasting good and easy to work with are of utmost importance. Also looking for fondant to be non-dairy as a criteria. In the past I have had good luck with Fat Daddio's Pro Series fondant from Amazon. Also see Satin Ice fondant on Amazon. Anyone have a preference?  Fat Daddio's comes in 8oz size, which might be the amount I need for each side, whereas Satin Ice comes in either 4oz or 2lbs. But buying the one that tastes best and is easiest to work with is priority.

Thanks!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 12

You know I have used Wilton's fondant in cases like  yours.   All you have to do is add flavoring to it.   I would knead in vanilla (or whatever extract flavor you want) until I could smell it good :)    Don't have any idea if it is non-dairy :(

SJEmom Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 1:21am
post #3 of 12

Used Wilton's fondant before. Found it hard (maybe just the packages that I had) and completely lacking flavor. Never thought to add flavor to it. That is certainly readily available, but wondering if there are better choices out there.

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 27 Jan 2018 , 5:51am
post #4 of 12

My sister in law has food allergies so I have to look for fondant thats made in a nut free facility. I found this brand, fondarific buttercream fondant at Walmart and it has a really good flavor and is easy to work with. Its more expensive than Wilton but worth it in my case. At our local store it was in both the cake decorating supply aisle and in the baking aisle.

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 27 Jan 2018 , 5:51am
post #5 of 12

My sister in law has food allergies so I have to look for fondant thats made in a nut free facility. I found this brand, fondarific buttercream fondant at Walmart and it has a really good flavor and is easy to work with. Its more expensive than Wilton but worth it in my case. At our local store it was in both the cake decorating supply aisle and in the baking aisle.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 27 Jan 2018 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 12

I use Wilton frequently for decorations.  None of my clients want fondant covered cakes, so my fondant needs are different.  Wilton does mix well with homemade marshmallow fondant, gumpaste, or pastillage.  It really does a good job for decorations!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 27 Jan 2018 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 12

I have never had much success with the MMF. I just use Wilton flavored with a little almond extract. Like most things, it does some things well and is less forgiving in other applications. 

kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 28 Jan 2018 , 1:00am
post #9 of 12

I use fondarific to cover cakes...satin ice and/or wilton for decoration because it dries out faster.

kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 28 Jan 2018 , 1:00am
post #10 of 12

I use fondarific to cover cakes...satin ice and/or wilton for decoration because it dries out faster.

SJEmom Posted 28 Jan 2018 , 2:23am
post #11 of 12

Great information about Satin Ice and Wilton being better for decoration. Can't use Fondarific because it is made with dairy. Leaning towards using Fat Daddio's since my other choices would likely have been Satin Ice or Wilton. Also so helpful to know that fondant like Wilton should be flavored. I always found that it tasted bleh, but that is because it needs flavoring.

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 4:52am
post #12 of 12

I think Wilton would be better for you to work with because it doesn't need much kneading. They've changed their formula couple of years ago so it taste much better than before. I personally work with Satin Ice because I buy it by the bucket (20bls) so it's cheaper for me. The only problem with Satin Ice is that I have to knead it more than the Wilton so it doesn't crack when applied on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%