How To Do This?

Decorating By Minileo Updated 26 Jan 2018 , 5:18am by Minileo

Minileo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minileo Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 7:54am
post #1 of 10

Hello my lovely bakers

I am asked to make this cake topper ( Pic attached) . How do I attach/place baby on to the moon so they both don't fall?  SO far I think the moon needs to be cut way thicker so I can place blanket & baby ( which will add the weight on the moon). Is there any other way to make it ? Thanks in advance. 

How To Do This?

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 10

Moon Baby on Cake Central

Here's one I did yrs ago that is similar.  It may offer you an opt ion how to make it if you can't/dont' want to do it as you pictured.   I had just a few hours notice to make this and had to dry the fondant outside in the hot summer sun on a cookie sheet! 

Minileo Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 10

@Kakeladi, thank you but i have made these type of cakes before, it's just I am not sure how to place baby on the moon without tripping it. Either make the moon way thicker or make it the way in the following pic.

How To Do This?

Following is the cake I made :

How To Do This?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 10

^^^^

This is made out of Rice Krispy Treats and supported underneath.  It's covered with modeling chocolate and the baby is glued on with melted chocolate.   It's fully edible.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 10

Too late now I think for OP,(your cake turned out beautifully) but it looks to me as if the moon may be white chocolate, which would be a bit sturdier.  It would also be possible to embed a dowel or two into the moon to stick it into the cake, or to attach sticks to the back with melted chocolate.  Also the fondant figure could be attached with melted chocolate.  That would be my working approach, at least to start!  

Minileo Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 6:43am
post #7 of 10

@maybenot  Thanks, that's a beautiful topper but customer wants a clean cut moon like in the pic. @yortma yeah that's exactly I planned so far. Thank you for your input.  

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 2:32am
post #8 of 10

I would put a skewer in to the bottom of your gumpaste moon when you make it.

Cut a section off a small drinking straw, use heat to seal one end of the straw section.

Insert that section in to the cake where you want the moon to sit, fill the straw with chocolate using a piping bag, just a cheap quick setting compound chocolate.

Quickly place your skewered moon/baby topper in to the chocolate and hold in place while it sets, now you will have a very solid base support for your topper.

Just make sure to make your moon wide enough to cover the straw and ensure that the length of your straw is long enough to accommodate the part of the skewer that will go in to it, you do not want to have to pull it out and do it again because you find the skewer is too long.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 2:37am
post #9 of 10

Depending on the size of your topper you may even be wanting to put two skewers in to the cake. 

Minileo Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 5:18am
post #10 of 10

@bubs1stbirthday wow that's definitely something I din't think about. Will give it a try. Thank you so much !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%