Okay so there is a huge trend in NYC right now where pullapart cupcakes with glitter covered strawberries are trending. I just would like to know if any of you have any idea of how I can get the glitter to stick to the chocolate. I’ve tried alcohol and corn syrup, but I don’t have an exact recipe or formula on how much of what I need to use. I’m going to attach photos of my work and photos of the work I wish to aspire to achieve :( Basically anything that looks like amateur work is mines & the professional looking ones aren’t. However I know of the person who does make them and she basically refuses to give up her secrets lol. So if any of you can help me I would really really appreciate it :D
First off - yuck, who would actually eat that!
Second, you can get sugar glue, I am assuming that would work on these by setting the chocolate strawberries then applying the glue and dipping the strawberries in to a deep dish of glitter to get full coverage,
Thirdly..... that is really gross and surely can't be good for you in any way shape or form.
Looks like those strawberries were first dipped in chocolate and then dusted with disco dust. I don't know of any other "edible" glitter that gives you such sparkle and holographic effect. And I say "edible" because disco dust is basically the same as craft glitter. It is labeled as non-toxic but I certainly wouldn't be putting that on anything that is suppose to be eaten. Unless your goal is to get people to poo glitter.
it's a mistake to serve that to anyone to eat -- even the air brushed stuff -- looks like not edible -- no es bueno
there's a thousand ways to decorate strawberries -- pretty yes but not edible --
but for edible not dipped in chocolate -- you can brush the strawberries with whatever glue -- like pasteurized egg white wash and dip in glistening sugar from fine ground to larger crystals -- and it comes in rainbow colors or you can make it yourself with sugar and plain old food color and your stuff will sparkle and shine AND be edible --
oooh --i would wave a fork dipped in chocolate over the dipped/dry chocolate covered strawberries and sprinkle the glistening sugar over that so the berries will be all sparkly striped that way :)
plus you can add some gum arabic -- costs a few bucks if you have a cake supply store close by or you can order it online -- mix that with water and that stuff shines like patent leather -- or add it to the sugar -- or buy some edible glitter and mix it into your sugar --
best to you
I would never eat that disco dust craft glitter and never serve it to someone to eat. It is not approved for consumption and causes kidney damage. It is for decorative purposes only.
NO form of glitter - especially disco dust - is edible! One would be taking a huge risk that someone gets sick from eating them. As K8 has said - just because someone is nutty enough to do something doesn't mean you should do it also. Gold is a heavy metal. It is NOT absorbed nor passed from the body. Each and every time some is injested it acumulates (spelling??) and eventuly can cause many health problems.
It depends on what the packaging for the gold luster dust says. If it says "edible" then it is edible. If it says "non-toxic" or "for decorative purposes only" then it should not be ingested.
HOWEVER, and this is just my opinion, I think eating a few of those gold luster dusted strawberries won't have any negative effects to anyone, unless of course they are allergic to an ingredient. One would need to ingest A LOT of the product to have any issues. So unless someone is planning on eating a dozen luster dusted strawberries 3 times a day for the rest of their lives, there shouldn't be a problem.
But if you want to just cover your butt on the off chance that some person may come back and sue you for letting them eat something that isn't edible, but non-toxic, and not disclosing that information...then I would stick with edible stuff only.
...........It depends on what the packaging for the gold luster dust says. If it says "edible" then it is edible. If it says "non-toxic" or "for decorative purposes only" then it should not be ingested. ....
Agreed...I was a bit hasty in saying NO gold is edible but there is very little. And, of course it varies from country to country. If I remember right gold is eaten in countries like Turkey and Iran etc.
........HOWEVER, and this is just my opinion, I think eating a few of those gold luster dusted strawberries won't have any negative effects to anyone......
This is where we continue to disagree :) In the US it is considered a 'heavy metal' in any way, shape or form and as I mentioned it is never absorbed or eleminated from the body. To someone who might have other health problems, young childrden and old people it should not be ingested.
We have a gold lustre dust in the 'edible silk range' here that is considered edible and I have eaten a little of it, no harm done, it would give you that shiny gold look but not the glittery look.
I do feel a bit funny eating it but that is purely a psychological think form reading things on here I think haha.
It has listed on the ingredients list only E172 & E171. They are listed in that order so I assume the main ingredient is E172. I have no idea what they actually are but a quick google search tells me they are a food colouring additive so I assume they are designed to be eaten with no harmful side effects.
@kakeladi...that is why I said it was just my opinion. And also why I said that the original poster should just use edible items so as to not cause any issues with potential clients. I just think that here in the US, we can get a little overly crazy about things and I think this is one of those things.