Help With A 5 Tiered Cake

Decorating By Pucci Cakes Updated 3 Jan 2018 , 11:53pm by Pucci Cakes

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 21 Dec 2017 , 5:23am
post #1 of 19

Hello everyone

I have to make a similar cake to the one in the picture below for this Saturday 30th plus I have 2 other cakes for same day that are time consuming. My cakes are already baked and in the freezer. Would it be ok to take cakes out of freezer into the fridge on Tuesday evening, crumb coat Wednesday, apply fondant Thursday, then apply ruffles and flowers to the cake on Friday? Most tiers are with regular buttercream and smbc but one tier is carrot cake. I have to take the cake to the venue Saturday morning although reception starts at 6pm. I don't like to place cake in the fridge after applying fondant because I want the fondant to be hard so it doesn't get ruined when applying flowers and ruffles.

I already made the flowers and they are really heavy. I made some flowers on wooden skewers and some on wires. I don't really know how to assemble the flowers specially the ones on the top. Any ideas?  Should I add some royal icing to better secure them to the cake? If yes, how thick should the royal icing be?  Will the top 4" tier hold the weight?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Help With A 5 Tiered Cake?

18 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2017 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 19

Personally I think that is too long ... the cake is not going to be fresh/moist.  I would not take it out at the every earliest on Wed.   As for how to put the flowers onI would use melted chocolate.   It's hard to say how much as I can't judge the weight of them.   I would make a blob  as  large as I could without it showing from under the flower - hold it a few seconds to help the choco set up. 

kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2017 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 19

Personally I think that is too long ... the cake is not going to be fresh/moist.  I would not take it out at the every earliest on Wed.   As for how to put the flowers onI would use melted chocolate.   It's hard to say how much as I can't judge the weight of them.   I would make a blob  as  large as I could without it showing from under the flower - hold it a few seconds to help the choco set up. 

Pucci Cakes Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 1:29am
post #4 of 19

Thank you kakeladi. Do you mean I should take cakes out of freezer on Wednesday? So fill and crumb coat Thursday and back in the fridge, then apply fondant on Friday? I do have a cold room in the basement.

Regarding melted chocolate, I'm putting the cake together at the venue since it's about 50 min away so I don't think I can melt chocolate at the venue. Won't royal icing work?

kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2017 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 19

Sorry for the delay in answering.  Yes, you can use royal.  That probably works just fine.  I just don't use royal as it doesn't taste all that good :)   Hey I just thought of something - attaching those flowers.  When attaching to fondant  couldn't you use a *very* lightly dampened ball of fondant.   You have some time so try it.   Don't have to do the cake - just test it out.  Take one flower and stick some wet fondant to something that has fondant on it and see if/how it stays attached.    I'm still wondering why you have to have the cake defrosted, crumb coated, then back in the frig before you cover w/fondant then back in the frig before decorating.   I was taught that the b'cream needed to be as  freshly applied as possible for the fondant to stick to it so I always crumbed then put on the fondant right away.    That would give you one more day for the cake to be fresh :)  Remember, for the most part a cake will stay fresh for 3 days - which includes all the time it is being worked on.  So the less time it is not fzn the better.  The less time  you work on it the longer the customer will have a fresh cake (leftovers) after the event.   I did once work in a well known/liked bakery who would sometimes completely finish wedding cakes on Tues or Wed- depending on how many orders they had - for a Sat wedding but then I never tasted them.   A 4" top is really small.  You wouldn'd need many flowers to cover it if they are as big as pictured.  I'm thinking only 3 each size - big & smaller w/one or two sprigs of leaf.   Or maybe only 2 big ones and fill in as needed w/smaller ones would look good.

kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2017 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 19

Just saw this comment on another post and thought it might help you out. 

............tylose glue would work just fine, be sure to only use enough to make the back of your fondant tacky, not wet. If you make it wet it will slip, tacky and it should hold perfectly...................

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2017 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 19

an idea for the flowers on top is to set them on top of a round foam piece that could set on top of the 4" and using bamboo skewers for dowel -- dowel it like any other tier so it holds up the weight of the flowers -- no more than three or four dowel --- only the skinny bamboo skewers though -- and the foam could be hidden by the flowers hanging over --

geez i would want to do that whole top tier in foam -- if the flowers are that heavy -- why are they so heavy -- four inch cake is way small -- don't want to tax it's strength --

and it's likely to be top heavy -- potential to topple -- i'd go foam and still bake the 4" for her but set the 4" foam one on there -- this is a situation where i would not contact at this late date -- i would make the executive decision -- but i had a little line on my order blank that gave me that permission -- 'i reserve the right to produce your cake to the best of my ability' -- some things you just can't predict until you're knee deep in cake crumbs and up to your neck in rolled fondant --

so you also want to secure that top tier to the next tier down with a dowel through both boards for stability -- if the flowers are mounted to a piece of foam sitting on top -- stick all three together with a dowel through all --

i'm freaking out a little if you use cake -- you're not gonna be able to stick stems down into that top tier i think --  but this is a time when you want to not trim the sides of the 4" cake -- you want all that crusty crustiness to help with structure 

best to you

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 Dec 2017 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 19

Not sure whether it would work or not but when I first saw this cake I actually wondered if the flowers on the top were actually sitting on a styrofoam dome that was then sat in top of that top tier rather than attached to the cake at all?

Not sure of anyone else has any thoughts on that at all?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2017 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 19

i didn't think about that till you mentioned it -- could be a dome -- would need dowels to hold it all up --

i think the whole thing could be foam -- look at those crisp edges -- but i mean that's about six inches of flowers circling around 4" cake -- the weight distribution is critical and maybe it's pound cake or something -- but i perceive it to be unstable without some careful engineering

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2017 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 19

i didn't think about that till you mentioned it -- could be a dome -- would need dowels to hold it all up --

i think the whole thing could be foam -- look at those crisp edges -- but i mean that's about six inches of flowers circling around 4" cake -- the weight distribution is critical and maybe it's pound cake or something -- but i perceive it to be quite unstable without some careful engineering

Pucci Cakes Posted 27 Dec 2017 , 4:37am
post #11 of 19

Thank you so much for all of the advice.

kakeladi I will take the cakes out of the freezer tomorrow like you told me. I did make the flowers with Styrofoam inside but they are heavy for the 4" tier. The 4" tier is small but if I'm not mistaken so is the one in the picture. Regarding using a *very* lightly dampened ball of fondant, it seems like a good idea but I think that would add more weight. Maybe I'll try the tylose glue or royal icing so thank you.

-K8memphis I did think about making the 4" tier out of Styrofoam but couldn't find one that small so I cut a 6" Styrofoam into a 4" but it doesn't look so round. I will try to fix the 4" styrofoam or maybe try to set them on top of a styrofoam dome piece like you and bubs1stbirthday said. Thank you both.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2017 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 19

pucci cakes -- please post a picture and best of the best to you

Pucci Cakes Posted 31 Dec 2017 , 7:29am
post #13 of 19

Ok -K8memphis here's the picture of the cake I made. It was a hit. Thank you all for your help. Best site ever.Help With A 5 Tiered CakeHelp With A 5 Tiered Cake

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 31 Dec 2017 , 9:41am
post #14 of 19

Bet the bridal couple were happy with that! It's truly lovely!

How did you end up doing it in the end?

-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2017 , 1:48pm
post #15 of 19

wow -- you rocked it -- gorgeous cake so well done -- lovely lovely beautiful -- you da bombshabomb

Pucci Cakes Posted 31 Dec 2017 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you bubs1stbirthday and -K8memphis. I ended up making the top tier out of styrofoam so the bride took it home. The couple were sooo happy she called it the cake of her dreams. I was shaking when assembling the cake...so glad it's over. Members of the venue were impressed so I hope they bring me clients.

kakeladi Posted 2 Jan 2018 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 19

Terrific job!  Yes, as the others have said, you made a gorgeous cake  I've sure you will get referals from the venue in the future :)

kakeladi Posted 2 Jan 2018 , 8:00pm
post #18 of 19

I take it there were no problems with the weight of the flowers? 

Pucci Cakes Posted 3 Jan 2018 , 11:53pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you kakeladi. I had no problem with the weight of the flowers since I make the top tier from a styrofoam. The rest of the flowers I used royal icing as glue. Already got a call from another bride from the venue. She wants me to make her wedding cake in August. Soooo happy.

Thank you all again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%