Cooked Icing??

Baking By forjenns Updated 20 Dec 2017 , 7:56pm by jchuck

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 18 Dec 2017 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make cookies with the following recipe.  it doesn't look like any cooked icing recipe I've seen  and the measurements are a little odd to me.   Does this sound like something that needs to be cooked?  Its a "my grandmother made it this way" recipe:

1lb powdered sugar

2Tbsp vanilla extract

2 cups whole milk

2/3 stick of butter

4 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 19 Dec 2017 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 5

At first glance I thought it was an American buttercream recipe but then I saw the 2 CUPS of whole milk.  Are you sure that measurement is correct and it isn't 2 TBSP of milk?  It also seems like a lot of vanilla.

And no, an American buttercream does not get cooked.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 20 Dec 2017 , 11:55am
post #3 of 5

I do know that some people put powdered sugar in their cooked flour frosting... but the ratios there seem way off and no flour or cornstarch...

Maybe it is a glaze type icing?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2017 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 5

When I make ABC I use 2 Tablespoons flavoring.   To me it makes a HUGE difference in taste and feel all recipes would benifit from more flavoring - be it vanilla, or whatever.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 Dec 2017 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 5

I make cooked icing all the time.  Agree forjenns, these ingredients don't represent my recipe or any cooked icing recipe I've ever seen either. I think I agree with Freckles0829..it's a glaze recipe. Kinda reminds me of the proportions of my Mom's glaze she used for petite fores, and sugar cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%