Flying A Cake Out, Can I Make A Cake Monday For A Saturday Party - Fully Frosted And Decorated?

Baking By 350degreeoven Updated 19 Dec 2017 , 1:50pm by -K8memphis

350degreeoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350degreeoven Posted 17 Dec 2017 , 6:19am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for my sister's baby shower that is being held in Texas, but I'm flying in from California. The party is Saturday afternoon and I'm flying out early Wednesday. The cake is all from scratch including buttercream and fillings. I'm wondering if I make the cake, frosting, and filling and assemble the cake on a Tuesday, can I then place the cake in an airtight cake container and keep it refrigerated Wednesday thru Saturday? Any feedback would be SO appreciated! 

I don't do this as a business and only bake for friends and family so I have very limited experience with this.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2017 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 5

It might not be as fresh/moist as you want but...yes I've done something similar.  Instead of frig'ing it, I suggest fzing it. That will help keep it fresher/moister.  Fz it right up until you leave for the airport :)   And put in back in the fzr as soon as you can when you get to Texas.  The way it's wrap will help.  Once it is completed put it in the fzr without wrapping it - about an hour - justy to harden the icing then remove and wrap in plastic wrap then cover that with foil.  Now put it in a cakebox and wrap that the same way.  When ready to take to party, remove from fzr some 6 hours before and unwrap the box but not the cake. Then about 1 or 2 hrs  before needing to display completely unwrap and display.  By the time you are ready to serve it should be room temp and good :) 

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Dec 2017 , 10:57am
post #3 of 5

I think that would be too far out and not taste fresh or have ideal texture. I'm a fresh cake gal and want my cakes to be as good as they look and that many days ahead may not be as ideal. If you freeze it, make sure it's packed with dry ice or ice packs while traveling. Cakes that are thawed and re-frozen will be less than ideal.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Dec 2017 , 10:58am
post #4 of 5

Why not make and take the decorations and tools with you, and make a fresh cake there?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2017 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 5

yeah scratch cake doesn't always have that kind of shelf life -- so then you're torn between making a great cake for them or making your cake prowess known under those unfriendly traveling circumstances --

if your cake is baked with butter -- it will not be the same texture after you fridge it -- butter tightens up and stays tight even after it comes back to room temp -- but yyou can microwavve back to health

so that's why i used cake mix for weddings -- it has holding properties that are not available in scratch cakes -- it's gotta really take a lot of time to make, decorate, deliver so it needs to be more agile than a scratch -- 

welcome to my (previous) world (i'm retired) and best to you

blush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%