Nutcracker Help

Decorating By bmaggiore3 Updated 27 Nov 2017 , 2:26pm by -K8memphis

bmaggiore3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmaggiore3 Posted 25 Nov 2017 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 5

Need some help with ideas for making hair for head and beard of a life size nutcracker.  The rest of the nutcracker will be fondant and very intricate.  I've thought of using wafer paper, but haven't worked with it so not sure if it's the correct medium?  I'd like something pretty realistic and hair like.  Buttercream with grasstip is not the look I'm searching for.  Would love to avoid making 60000 strands with a clay extruder.  Hopefully somebody has a great idea to help.  TIA

4 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Nov 2017 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 5

Do you have an extruder. You could make the hair with that. Now the beard?? There supposed to be wispy. But thats open to interpretation. You could just use gumpaste and shape. I would use coffee filter paper. Cut, shape, curl,  use white glue to set. Let dry. Then attach to Nutcracker's chin.

Hope this helps.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Nov 2017 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 5

Wafer paper cut into tiny - string like - pieces is going to be nothing short of a PIA!  And most likely you would break off most of them when placing plus it doesn't curl well. 

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 26 Nov 2017 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 5

Cotton candy?? Without the colored dye.  Unfortunately, it has a pretty short life cycle and may melt down on you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2017 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 5

define full size

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%