Dairy Free Pound Cake

Baking By kakapo Updated 13 Nov 2017 , 10:42pm by jchuck

kakapo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakapo Posted 11 Nov 2017 , 6:00am
post #1 of 11

I wanted to bake a dairy-free, nut-free pound cake and I found this recipe online: http://www.thesemisweetsisters.com/2014/05/03/vanilla-bundt-cake-recipe-made-with-oil/

It has no butter but has whole milk. Would replacing the whole milk with water make the cake no longer technically a pound cake?

Thanks blush

10 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 3:17am
post #2 of 11

Why not try replacing the whole milk with Soy or Almond or Coconut Milk?  

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 11

She can't substitute the milk for almond or coconut milk because, THOSE are treeNUTS and she wants a nut free cake. I would go with sunflower milk. Sunflower milk with a tad of vinegar (check the vinegar first) tastes like buttermilk but proportions have to be right but it tastes good and the results are close enough to the real stuff. IF this is not a true dairy allergy but just a lactose intolerance, you would have, many more options. Soy is a legume but I would check to make sure the person can actually have soybeans, many people can't. There are also tons of dairy free butter too, we have used some with water, with mixed results.

Alohilani Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 11

Also, for a true pound cake you don't need dairy and could use one of the several nut and dairy free "butters" out there. I'm assuming you're in the USA, if I'm wrong then it might be a tad more difficult but not impossible.

Alohilani Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 11

It won't let me add to my previous posts or delete them but at least it's letting me post. I apologise for all the posts and I'll try to make this the last one. Since the recipe you are considering has eggs, have you considerate mayonnaise? We use a recipe with mayonnaise and water all the time for weddings, with no complaints. My father in law has been using his mayo recipe for 40 years. Most people can't even tell it's allergy friendly.

AAtKT Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 11

I missed the nut free part when reading...  SORRY... 

AAtKT Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 11

I missed the nut free part when reading...  SORRY... 

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 11

Mayonnaise has eggs.

Alohilani Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 11

Yes cookiemom51, mayonnaise has eggs, and? Notice how I said "since your recipe has eggs" when I addressed the original post. Her requirement was that it had to be dairy and nut free.

I brought up mayonnaise (which by the way can be made vegan sans eggs or with egg substitute) is because the recipe, she inquired about included eggs. By the way, eggs are not part of dairy, which comes from mammals, but I'm sure you knew that already.

AAtKT, no need to apologise most people who aren't used to dealing will food allergies will assume those "milks" are okay when substituting "dairy milk". The truth is that even power or non refrigerated creamers have some type or another of dairy protein in them.

Labels are your friend, you will be surprised and shocked if you stop to really read and dig through them on your next hopping trip, which items contain gluten, tree nuts and dairy, etc. Manufactures changes product formulas often and they don't have to tell them consumer. They just have I note on the labels, so something you buy today and it's okay for someone with an allergy to consume today might not be okay in a week, or six months. I mean a well know company had added  gluten to their toothpaste and shampoo, why? Money of course, it was cheaper to use it as a filler during manufacturing.

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 11

Not trying to be a jerk, but clarify for me how mayonnaise can be substituted for eggs when it contains eggs. I thought you were talking about regular mayo. Why even bring it up when the allergens are tree nuts and dairy? Did I miss something?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 11

Use hemp milk, that is definitely not a nut milk. Or coconut milk.  And to make a dense pound cake use a vegan/soy yogurt or pudding. And for egg replacement you can use aquafaba (chick pea liquid). You can make icing with aquafaba to make icing too.  Here's two sites to help you out.

http://theblenderist.com/vegan-royal-icing-aquafaba-recipe

http://www.thekitchn.com/the-most-magical-egg-replacement-and-how-to-use-it-234588

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%