Newbie - Chocolate Cake Help

Baking By isuhunter Updated 3 Nov 2017 , 6:25pm by CupCake.Goddess

isuhunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isuhunter Posted 2 Nov 2017 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a birthday cake for my son.   I started with the WASC original recipe and added 2 T oil with a yellow cake mix.  Cake looks fabulous.  Now my wife would like a second layer and wants chocolate.  Should I use the same recipe - what flavorings do you add?

I plan to use indydebi's buttercream - should I use that to bond the two cakes together?

3 replies
CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 2 Nov 2017 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 4

Hi isuhunter! 

This is the only recipe I use for chocolate cake.  I have never had a complaint.  It is so moist and delicious and the chocolate flavor is over the top.  The coffee definitely helps enhance the flavor!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe-1947521

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2017 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 4

WHY?!?  Why, oh why did you change my *original* WASC recipe? :)  It's perfect the way it's offered.   You get a delicious, moist, good looking cake following the original as posted.   I have made 1,000s of choco versions of that recipe using a choco cake mix - NO OTHER CHANGES or additions  NEEDED!  

As for icing this is a super great tasting one: //www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing      Indydebi's is good too but I like this ^^^ on better.  The 2 layers can be put together w/just b'cream icing or any jam or jelly, or some fresh fruit.  You can mix it into the b'cream or just use it straight.  If  you hav e never filled a cake be sure to study YouTube videos on how to do that.  You need to make a dam (ring of b'cream around the top of the cake layer) to contain it.

CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 3 Nov 2017 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 4

lmbooooooooooo!!  The chocolate WASC is good too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%