Help With Large Wedding Cake

Decorating By paralegalnc Updated 1 Nov 2017 , 3:42am by me_me1

paralegalnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paralegalnc Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 5

well I got an order for a wedding cake...not the first but the biggest. We get mostly creative control but it has to feed 350-400 in 5 tiers has to be sparkly and out do her sister's cake.  Yeah, it's like that.   so I've been searching and I see alot of the cakes like the picture attached...  but my question is... on this or anyone like this - what is in the center to keep the cakes from collapsing on themselves? I mean looks like the top of that cake is just resting on the edges of those bottom ones.  What am I missing?? does anyone have any ideas? I've been looking at so many wedding cakes I've gained 10 pounds.

Help With Large Wedding Cake

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 5

oh i getcha -- yeah  -- tons of different ways to do it -- all the cakes you can see on those bottom three tiers could be cut so that they can be pushed up against an all foam tower within there that can hold up the top six tiers --

or that divider above the bottom three tiers could be a giant sps 'table' like with loooong fat wooden dowel legs firmly secured into the 'table top divider' and the cakes below --

tons of ways to do it 

that's a beautiful cake -- i love the gully washes of flowers that are flowing down the crevices -- and the creamy white colored flowers playing off the silvery gray color decor -- very cool

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 5

This cake is nothing more than the usual stacked cake - just much bigger.  Each tier is on it's own cake board and dowels are used in the tier under it to hold them up.  The cakes do not rest on cake but on the dowels.  If you are unsure how to do this you need to study YouTube sites/videos. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 5

I've done a couple cakes simular to this but not as big.  I did not use anything internally.  For the bottom 3 stacks just push 2 or 3 tiers together - just touching - The flowers hide the opening that remains.  This will give you an idea of what I mean:    25Th Anniversary Tiers on Cake CentralYouputting a 3rd one behind the 2  (forming sort of a triangle)  helps with stability - then put just 2 on top of the 3, building up up from there.  In the pic there is a (probably styro) 'divider' between the 3 lower stacked tiers then all the upper ones.   Since they want 'bling'/sparkle you could cover that with rhinestones? 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 1 Nov 2017 , 3:42am
post #5 of 5

@-k8memphis...  "gully washes of flowers"  I love this phrase! Definitely going to be working this into my caking vocab!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%