Scam Cupcake Orders

Lounge By FlRugbyChick Updated 1 Nov 2017 , 6:51pm by CupCake.Goddess

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 27 Oct 2017 , 12:09am
post #1 of 5

Lately, I have been getting messages from strange numbers that look like this..

Hi, I am (random name), do you sell cupcakes? Do you take credit cards? I responded to the first few saying that I don't take credit cards. Then they reply by saying they will pay through western union. When I press for more details, or suggest a meeting, they stop responding. 

Has anyone else had this happen? 

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2017 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 5

Typical scam doings.  Best not to ever reply to begin with.

GJsLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GJsLady Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 5:01am
post #3 of 5

I actually got a text message like this today for 200 cupcakes.  I was concerned that it might be a scam so I started asking questions.  I let him know that as a home baker, state law prohibits me from shipping orders...no problem, his "courier" will pick the order up as soon as it's ready...He told me he is a military man and asked what type of payments I take and if I would take a check?  I let him know I would take cashiers check or credit cards, I would take a check as long as it was drawn on a US bank and I received it in plenty of time for it to clear the bank prior to pick up...no problem, he'll mail a check tomorrow, he just needs an address.  Before disclosing that, I asked for a name and address, for my records, he gave me a name and address in a small town about 45 miles away.  I asked how he heard about me, and he said he did a google search and found me on facebook.  Then I asked him before I could accept and confirm the order, if there is a family member locally that I could meet with and what military branch he is in.  That was almost 8 hrs ago and haven't heard anything since.  Hmmmm, looks like I might have dodged a bullet there...lol

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 5

Yup! People suck sometimes. 

CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 1 Nov 2017 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 5

The "western union" piece stood out to me.  Some Nigerians (not all) use WU to scam people. I wouldn't trust it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%