Pound Cake As A 13X9

Baking By Coffeelover77 Updated 29 Oct 2017 , 8:51pm by SandraSmiley

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 24 Oct 2017 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 11

Has anybody baked a pound cake in a 13x9? Would you use the same batter as a tube pan recipe or 1.5x the batter ?

I am making a cake that will be a van shape. (Scooby machine) My plan is to bake a 13x9 and cut in half so it’s 9 inches long and 6.5 inches wide, depending on height I will is either 2 full 13x9 or one and a half stacked. It should be about 7 inches tall I think.

now i would like a sturdier cake because I’m sticking some fondant figures in at an angle and wonder if a denser cake would anchor them better ... but would it be weird at a party to be given a slice of cake that is frosted pound cake ?

Maybe my regular scratch yellow cake recipe will be fine, It’s not super fluffy but it’s also not dense ...

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2017 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 11

no wrong way -- all your choice -- but not one to leave well enough alone there's another really cool denser-ish cake and that's

the cake mix doctor's melted ice cream cake

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=6985275

the possibilities are endless 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2017 , 1:14am
post #3 of 11

I've made 1,000s of wedding and other occasion cakes using this recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe  which is a box mix/scratch combination for pound cake.  It works just fine  in  any shape pan.

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 25 Oct 2017 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks guys!

although now I think I've changed my mind again and having the characters on the sides is just too risky!

omg this is why I could never go into cake business LOL

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 27 Oct 2017 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 11

The recipe with the ice cream reminds me of a video I saw on youtube recently where people left out breyers Ice cream out of freezer for 74 hours to room temperature to see how long before it melted and it never melted.  They said they gave up after 74 hours and I am sure they threw the rest of the ice cream in the trash!!! I know I would!! That tells me I never want to buy any breyers ice cream because it obviously is not real ice cream. I remember on summer days years ago when my dad used to churn our ice cream and there wasn't anything better than the "real deal". There is no telling what is in breyers ice cream. These corporations do anything to save themselves money!!  

If I tried the recipe with ice cream in it I would probably use blue bell because it is supposed to be pure cream ice cream.

Back to the subject, I have used pound cakes before in 9 inch round pans and they work just fine!!

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 1:26am
post #6 of 11

I have use pound cake in 13x9 pans also. As for 1 recipe or 1 1/2 recipes...it depends on how many cups your recipe makes. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 2:13am
post #7 of 11

remnant -- that is weird about the ice cream -- breyers always advertised that they were just the best real ingredients -- how could it not melt? i'm not defending breyers -- i'm just so surprised/shocked/nearly incredulous -- how could it stay frozen at room temp?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 3:47am
post #8 of 11

I've eaten a million gallons of Breyer's ice cream and, take my word for it, it definitely melts just like any other ice cream.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 11

This is the video I saw about Breyers not melting. Since I saw this I will not eat Breyers. When they melted it finally in microwave it did not look like cream. In fact I saw no cream whatsoever in it. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe some people like it and think it is is fine. All I went by is what I saw in this video!!! 

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 11

I didn't doubt you in the least, remnant3333, but I seriously wonder what is going on here since mine always melts like any other ice cream. 

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 11

Oh, I see this is referred to as "frozen desert".  I've never heard of it, only had the ice cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%