Urgent! Please Help! How To Cool Cakes Before Stacking And Fondant

Baking By katecaffrey Updated 21 Oct 2017 , 5:00pm by jmt1714

katecaffrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katecaffrey Posted 18 Oct 2017 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there, 

I plan on baking my cakes today and I will be stacking them and covering them with fondant tomorrow. 

My question is how do I store the cakes to cool? 

1. take them out of the oven
2. leave them to cool in pan for 10 minutes
3. place on wire rack? -HOW LONG????

Should I cover my cakes when they cool overnight? 

please please help! 

thanks! 

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2017 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 10

when there is no heat left in them -- touch top & bottom -- takes less than an hour -- yes you need to cover them up to sit overnight --

i have a concern as to how long a time you have allowed for your process -- when is the cake due?

katecaffrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katecaffrey Posted 18 Oct 2017 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 10

my cake is due on Saturday Morning. 

Here's my timeline: 

Wednesday 

1. bake my cakes and let cool overnight 
2. Fix my cake board 

Thursday 

1. Stack, Ice my cake and cover with fondant 
2. Start adding the decorations I've made in advance 

Friday 

1. Store cake in room temperature in a cool dry place 
2. do any last minute touch ups or anything else I need to do. 

Saturday 

2. Bring cake to party. 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2017 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 10

sounds good -- only thing is you have to keep your cakes from drying out all the way along -- so keep them covered -- i freeze and fridge mine -- there's no wrong way -- just the way that's best for you --

so yeah they cool in an hour -- you wrap them up overnight --

best to you

Steph_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph_2009 Posted 19 Oct 2017 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 10

I'm assuming you don't fridge then after they've had fondant on them K8Memphis? I don't usually fridge after the fondant - I just hope it keeps the moisture in?

I've found that my cakes take slightly over an hour to cool but it could be because I don't take the parchment paper off the bottom of the cake. 

I  left 2 cakes overnight to cool covered with a tea towel and they were fine the next morning :-) I wouldn't recommend doing that as standard practise though...

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2017 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 10

yes i fridged after fondanting -- i deliver/ed everything cold --

there's no set time for a cake to cool or bake or anything -- op says cake has to cool overnight -- no, takes about an hour

Steph_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph_2009 Posted 19 Oct 2017 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 10

Wow I didn't realise you could fridge after fondant!! I have been to scared to try in case the fondant sweats - I'll try it next time I make one for family (Or maybe try it with the one I'm working on if I'm feeling brave haha)

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2017 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 10

i would recommend testing it first -- not all fridges are the same and climates are different everywhere of course -- but yes it works for me 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2017 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 10

Even if the cake covered in fondant does sweat all that's necessary is to leave it totally UNtouched until the sweat evaporates.  If it is touched it will leave a spot that cannot be eliminated in any way expcept to cover w/a decoration.   To help/cut down on any possible sweating put the finished cake in a cake box which is then put into a plastic bag (or well wrapped in plastic wrap) before frig'ing.  When you remove it from the frig you can unwrap it but leave it in the closed box until it comes to room temp and the sweating evaporates.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Oct 2017 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 10

You certainly don’t need to cool overnight. I always bake, cool, stack, and crumb coat on day one. I let it sit for a few hours with a cake cardboard and a light weight on top overnight. Then final coat and fondant the next day. Then decorate that day or the next. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%