Help With Sizing

Baking By Steph_2009 Updated 17 Oct 2017 , 1:21pm by Coffeelover77

Steph_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph_2009 Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 11

Hi

I have a 2 tier to make for a birthday coming up next week - the person I'm making it for said she "thinks it'll need to serve 40, I'm underestimating as there'll be a fair few kids there and will probably cut thinner slices for them"

I was planning to buy a 10" pan and do a 10" and an 8" but am wondering if I can do a 9" and a 7.5" instead - finding serving numbers for a 7.5" cake seems to be impossible haha!!

I guess I dont want to fork out for a 10" pan if I don't really need to...

Any advice?

10 replies
melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 11

I go by the Wilton wedding chart as my cakes are between 5-6in high. I would do a 6 and 8 cake for 36 servings or a 7in serves 18 so a 7 and 9 for 50 servings. I always include a cutting chart too so they know how to get the proper numbers. Hope that helps. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 11

Most likely you are making 4" (or more) tall tier so using the Wilton wedding chart is right on.   Is there a 7.5 pan around?  It sort of sounds like you might have those sized pans already and if so then go ahead and use them.  Keep in mind one will always use a 10" in the future if you descide to get one.    It's a very popular size :)  And the other poster's suggestion about including a cutting chart is very good.

Steph_2009 Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 11

That's great thanks :-)

Yes I only started making cakes to sell in June this year so I'm still collecting tins and decorating bits and bobs while learning at the same time haha so I have the 9" and the 7.5" already :-)

I'll do the 9" and 7.5" then and include a wilton cake cutting chart :-) my cakes do seem to be around 4 - 5" high once iced etc :-) 

Thanks for your advice :-) 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 11

If you are feeling uncertain about the servings using your existing pans, you could always throw in a dozen cupcakes.  

Steph_2009 Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 11

ThankThanks Sandrasmiley I may well do that - its always better too much cake than not enough :-)

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 12:22am
post #7 of 11

Steph, you could always look into a cake store that rents pans. The cake store in my town rents every size pan.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 11

So-what is a serving size to you? And what is a serving size to your client?

if she thinks a serving size is larger than what you are selling, you will have a problem. 

dont give away extra cake

dibt throw in extra cupcakes for free

if the need “about 40” then you go over the sizes available and tell them they can order this size for this many servings, or this size for this many servings  

meaning if size 1 cake gets 35 and size 2 cake gets 45, they pick which to order and pay for that   It doesn’t mean they order the smaller and you throw in extra or they order the larger but only pay for what they want  

Steph_2009 Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks :-) I told her the serving sizes would be around 1 X 2" each. I'll include a cutting chart when I  give it. I guess I was unsure how many servings i would get because of my off sized tin  (7.5") not showing on charts.

Steph_2009 Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 11

I dont think ill need to rent a pan - I'd rather buy one as I'm sure i would use it in the future but if I can put it off until I really need it I will. :-)

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 11

9 and 7.5 should give you 40 servings for sure!

I always find that for little kids parties especially you can get a ton of slivers. That's all they eat anyway, if they want a second slice they can but kids rarely sit still at a party that long I think.

I have made some 9 + 6 cakes for kids parties and there were more than 40 people there including kids and there was plenty of cake + leftovers. If you include a chart you should be fine with the 9 + 7.5.

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%