Converting Garage Into Commercial Kitchen

Business By jfroman Updated 19 Oct 2017 , 11:46pm by MamaGeese

jfroman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfroman Posted 7 Oct 2017 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have met with our local (NY) health department and village code inspector so we have our guidelines of what will be required, and am now waiting to get estimates from plumbers while also designing the floorplan/layout before moving forward.

I am curious to hear from others who have gone this route with their business.  Did you encounter any unexpected issues along the way?  

Really any advise in regards to an effective layout, must-haves, things you wished you had done differently, your favorite things about your space, or maybe pics of your converted garage would be greatly appreciated!

I am so nervous but extremely excited at the same time!

TIA

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2017 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 7

I didn't convert a garage but.....one of the biggest stumbling blocks when I opened my 1st shop was the grease trap.  City requirements were for a HUGE in-ground one.  I had gotten a small one from a resturant going out of business.  It was legal, in use one day but not allowed for my shop the next :(   Eventually, with lots of hoops jumped through I got special permission to use it.  All that said to alert you to maybe having to dig up the floor of your garage.

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 1:07am
post #3 of 7

I converted my attached garage in 2012. Everything went smoothly for me and I had no surprises. I am in TN and was not required to have a grease trap since it was a baking-only kitchen. The only things my health department required was covered lighting, handwash sink, 3-bay sink, and a mop sink. Everything else could be consumer grade except a dishwasher. I did not have a dishwasher, so that was not a concern for me.

My electrical, plumbing, closet build-out, and drywall cost around $9K. My floor was an additional $1200 and my double doors were an additional $900. I did the painting and shelving myself. I probably spent about $200 on that.

The only thing I wish I had done differently is to build a small walk-in cooler. I later decided to build one (4'x6'), but changed my mind due to cost and not having room for a freezer if I did that.

I am attaching pictures of my finished kitchen. 

Converting Garage Into Commercial KitchenConverting Garage Into Commercial KitchenConverting Garage Into Commercial KitchenConverting Garage Into Commercial KitchenConverting Garage Into Commercial Kitchen

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 2:27am
post #4 of 7

Ikern777, great job on your conversion!  It looks really professional. Just out of curiosity, where do the double doors go? Do they replace the garage door?

jfroman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfroman Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 7

lkern777 your bakery is beautiful!  You did a great job.  Seems we have similar requirements.  

Though I just received my first plumbing quote of $6500! :*(  We were expecting around 3-4k.  We didn't initially realize the difficulties of running new plumbing to a garage at ground level.  I'm having a hard time finding someone who wants to take on this project.  I'm so frustrated!  $6500 for plumbing alone would push this whole idea out of reach for us right now.  Praying that we can find a way to make this doable at a price we can afford!

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 18 Oct 2017 , 12:59am
post #6 of 7

Thanks y'all!

lyndim: The double doors go to the driveway. They are where the garage door used to be.

jfroman: We were building a detached garage to replace the attached and the same builder did both. Part of the $9K for the plumbing and electrical included the electrical in the new garage.

I closed my business last November and converted the room again into a really cool man cave for my husband. I love the new room, but really miss my kitchen.  I only miss the business occasionally. :)

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 19 Oct 2017 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 7

That is beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%