What To Do If Wedding Cancelled Due To Weather

Business By Kim1182 Updated 15 Oct 2017 , 5:59pm by -K8memphis

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 10

Would like to know what the industry standard is if a wedding has to be cancelled a day or two prior to event due to weather.  Specifically, if you've baked and almost finished building/decorating cake(s) what do you do (monetarily) if you have to redo cakes for a later date?  My contract states "Performance of this agreement is contingent upon the ability of my business to complete the agreement and is subject to labor disputes, strikes, accidents, acts of God, severe medical issues and other causes beyond our control."  Thanks

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 10

I never had this problem.  It appears you have covered whatever you decide in your contract.  My off the top of my head thoughts would be to refund some of the money.......keeping what is invested so far.  Then when they come back at another date maybe off a % off.  If the new date is soon, then I would just carry over the $$ (rather than return) ....probably not even change the amount.  Yes, you take a bit of a loss, but that's part of doing business - keeping your reputation good.  I'm sure those who have been in business longer will have other ideas to share.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 10

i did it a little different -- i said at the consult -- this cake delivery is not contingent on a wedding taking place -- that i am an individual not a bakery -- and the cake will be delivered as my part of the bargain -- it is up to the client to arrange to have a big party, donate it somewhere or freeze it themselves -- i had no way to hold their purchase past the delivery and i could not sustain the loss -- it's all on them -- i said it diplomatically -- yeah, but no -- you order a cake -- you're getting a cake -- done -- ain't my fault things happen --

i mean but a great work around is that you can get a sweet little chest freezer for like under $150 -- so then you could freeze it for them -- but why -- i still wouldn't -- they can buy the freezer and deal with it --

:)

Kim1182 Posted 9 Oct 2017 , 12:00am
post #4 of 10

Thanks K8m

Kim1182 Posted 9 Oct 2017 , 12:11am
post #5 of 10

Thanks K8memphis.  I like the idea of bringing this up at a consultation and I think I'll also put it in my contract.  I'm with you, I don't plan on storing cakes for clients.  Appreciate your response.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 10

You deliver your cake and get paid. That isn’t your problem. You should have had the $$$ in hand before baking commenced. 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 10

This is a question.  You mean to tell me people who choose an outdoor wedding don't have a contingency?  Some  guest put things on hold to make their event.  

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 10

yes that can happen -- brides can be all aflutter and expect to put cakes with all butter icings at the summer beach reception without the sun melting it nor any sand being blown into it -- they're not real deep thinkers of reality -- because it's the one day when we think we can get everything we want kinda sorta -- so you have to know what is possible and kindly educate them --  

Kim1182 Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 10

I asked the question because you can't control natural disasters, i.e. a hurricane or tornado or strong storms that may come at the last minute.  Like the day before a wedding and everything has been paid for already.  

No, unfortunately not all families have a contingency plan for outdoor weddings.  

As usual K8memphis is correct, you have to educate clients.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 10

yeah and i mean it is so unfortunate for anything like that to happen but we here mostly represent individual bakers not brick and mortar bakeries -- huge difference in the agility of those two different entities to respond to the changes that can occur -- the first cant dodge and weave like the latter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%