Deep Purple Buttercream

Decorating By kerryberg Updated 13 Oct 2017 , 1:55am by Dar917

kerryberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerryberg Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any tricks/tips/instructions on how to get a deep purple buttercream? Making a MN Vikings Cake....

Thanks from Minnesota 

6 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 7

I would look at the Americolor Regal Purple gel color. To me, it looks close enough to the purple that you need. Make the butter cream a day or two ahead of when you need to ice the cake, as the color will get deeper as it sits. If you need to darken it, you can add a touch of black to it. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2017 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, as ypierce said, adding the color at least 1 or 2 days ahead should bring out the deep color you are looking for.  If you do add black be very! sure to use the tiniest bit - a little at a time.  Again, dark colors take time to 'develop' and adding black can cause it to go too dark or totally black if too much is used. 

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 7 Oct 2017 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 7

Also keep it out of the sunlight or it will fade to blue, per my experience.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2017 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 7

If you have an airbrush, that might be a better choice to achieve a deep purple.  Start with a medium toned buttercream and finish with the airbrush.  They way, people will not have such purple teeth, lol!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 7

Right on Sandra:)  I forgot to mention that.  Not only purple teeth, but tongue and if the get any on their clothing it will stain that too :(

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 13 Oct 2017 , 1:55am
post #7 of 7

@kakeladi oh don't worry, most of them will probably be wearing purple too. (I recently moved back to MN.) :P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%