aprilfromLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilfromLa Posted 2 Oct 2017 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 16

Help Please How To Decorate Thismy 72 

15 replies
aprilfromLa Posted 2 Oct 2017 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 16

Man I screwed this post all up. Sorry. My 72 year old aunt is getting married at the end of October. I'm far from a pro but she begged me to make this for her groom. I personally wish she hadn't asked or at least gave me something easier but it is what it is. He wants chocolate cake with chocolate icing. No fondant. How to I decorate this to keep the details of the train???  Would some kind of poured icing work?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Oct 2017 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 16

I would use a tiny star tip to cover the train (brown part), then make all the colored accents from fondant, which could easily be removed before eating.  You could also make the accents withthe small star tip, but they would not be quite as well defined.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 12:09am
post #4 of 16

Yah, what Sandra said.  I was going to say the same thing but thought some people don't like star-fill-in work and think it to be the lowest level of decorating....but done nicely w/a small tip it can be very nice.

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 12:30am
post #5 of 16

LOL, @kakeladi ‍ , that's because so few people can actually pipe anymore!  To me, it is the highest form of cake decorating and by far the most difficult!

aprilfromLa Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 12:33am
post #6 of 16

My hands hurt just thinking about doing this cake, been having pain in my joints.  Hopefully I can pull this off! I'm gonna practice this week. I told my aunt I read that this cake serves 12. So now she asked if I can make a sheet cake for this to sit on. 

kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 12:38am
post #7 of 16

You really can get more servings out of it - up to 20 easily.  Don't know how many you need but that train could always be set on a sheet cake :)

aprilfromLa Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 12:41am
post #8 of 16

Thanks so much!!

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 1:09am
post #9 of 16

The star tip is fairly easy on your hands, @aprilfromLa ‍ .  Just take your time and don't try to do it all at once.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 16

IMHO:  cover with a poured ganache. After that sets, Then decorate the details (e.g., pipe the wheels, the outlines of the carriage, the grill, etc. ) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 16

i am with jmt1714 -- thin ganache -- but actually i'd use a powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk glaze -- probably add some vanilla -- set it on a rack and after it sets up you can use edible ink markers to put accents -- must have a soft touch -- it works great -- like use the edge of the tip -- americolor gourmet markers is a good brand 

dude, if your hands hurt before you pipe don't star this cake -- it already has all the detail -- don't cover it all up -- just enhance it --

a couple of my fingers are nearly double their size as i sit typing here with two fingers -- in a fabulous flare -- don't aggravate your joints piping a cake -- just say no -- :)

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 16

and when you pour it use like a big lid or something that you can get a big swath of icing on that will cover the width of the cake when it pours off -- maybe a dinner plate -- maybe zig zag it gently for maximum coverage -- do have a piping right ready to go over the bare spots -- it blends right in -- you can of course tap, jiggle and slant it after pouring so it doesn't pool in the wheels & stuff --

the pan is the star of this show -- let it shine kwim

kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 16

Well I see others now mentioning what I 1st thought of but never had any luck doing - poured icing.   Since I have failed with repeated tried to cover anything bigger than a 2" cookie I just didn't want to have anyone else (this poster) get frustrated trying it so I just didn't mention it.  Your tips should be helpful.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 8:42pm
post #14 of 16

lynne, it's taken me forever and forever to figure this out -- just in the last few years actually -- the recipe and the directions in my previous posts right here work for me -- finally!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 16

Ok this is a naked locomotive with candy used as the minimal decorations. Life Saver on the front, buttercream star w/M&Ms on the wheels, the stripe candy are rainbow Air Head Candy as shown below, and the pink stripes look like cinnamon Dentine or Trident gum. The long green looks like Sour Punch Straws (also below).  The only piping I can see on this are the stars holding on the M&Ms (or Skittles).

433557624a5a6b5732506c5837595155385341-802x620-0-0.jpg?rqid=p19.4e1568a80427ef911b7c&rqt=SRS&a=1&c=1&dealId=wk0C5WbJZkW2PlX7YQU8SA%3D%3D&l=8100098&r=13&pr=13&dipr=1&pid=96019931&pdid=wk0C5WbJZkW2PlX7YQU8SA%3D%3D

sour-punch-straws-126283-im.jpg

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 9 Oct 2017 , 4:48pm
post #16 of 16

First  thought  that  popped into my head reading the OP, but no one else mentioned it....so I will!

RIGHT ON for your Aunt getting married at 72!  I think that's just wonderful.  Also loving that she's getting a cake for her groom.

...oh... I'm all "aboard" for the poured ganache - except till I took a second look at the cake.  Concerns that it will pool in the lower areas of the design.  If you do - have some help.  Make sure it's holding a bit to the rack or plate, then pour the ganache and  maybe try some very careful tilting to pour out the excess pooling.  Even if you have to hold it a bit with the tips of your fingers, do it where you can cover with one or two of the detailing items or immediately pour a bit where you had to touch.

Whatever you do - have fun.  And best wishes to the newlyweds!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%