Wiring Flowers - How To For Sunflowers?

Decorating By LynneCakes Updated 30 Sep 2017 , 5:16pm by LynneCakes

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making gumpaste flowers to cover styrofoam half balls mounted on plastic plates.  Flowers will be: sunflowers, dahlias, roses, carnations, lily of the valley, stephanotis, tiger lilies and also red currants and fall foliage.  How do you go about wiring a sunflower?  I've never wired a carnation either (I learnt from the Wilton course) but I think I can sort this out.  But sunflowers are so big and the shape would make it hard to be stable on a wire, no?  Any tips would be much appreciated!

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 3

If they are going to be mounted directly into the styrofoam ball, you could build your sunflower on a skewer instead of a wire, although if a stem is desired, you just triple the number of wires used for the stem.  When ready to arrange your flowers, you can cut the skewers to the desired length and they will be easy to insert into the foam.

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks yet again Sandra!  Yes, when I Googled this I saw that some people used toothpicks or skewers.  I think that will work perfectly.  I'll just have to let the skewer dry well in the center to make sure the flower doesn't slide down!  Very top heavy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%