Refrigerating A Cake - Buttercream Icing Under Fondant

Decorating By katecaffrey Updated 28 Sep 2017 , 8:11pm by kakeladi

katecaffrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katecaffrey Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 12:50am
post #1 of 5

PLEASE PLEASE HELP! 

I need a cake to be ready for Saturday afternoon. I am planning on finishing it Friday night. 

It will have buttercream filling and be covered in fondant. 

Do I need to be put it in the fridge? I've heard that you CAN'T put fondant in the fridge 

but I also heard that since I'm using buttercream, that HAS to be put in the fridge. 

please, please help! 

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 1:32am
post #2 of 5

You can do it either way. If you put it in the fridge, make sure it's in a box. When it comes out of the fridge, don't touch the fondant as it will leave marks. I fridge all of my cakes, and definitely have them in the fridge up until the point of delivery. There's no wrong way. Some people will say yes, some will say no. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 1:33am
post #3 of 5

And you definitely don't have to put a butter cream cake in the fridge, unless it has perishable filling, like cream cheese, fruit, etc. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 2:49am
post #4 of 5

Ditto everything @ypierce82  said!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 5

First of all - I also was taught what y ou are saying BUT.......that was years ago and new thinking is now in vogue:)   Yes, one CAN put fondant in the frige.  And NO, buttercream does NOT need to be refrig'd.  Well, that might depend on the type of b'cream you are using.   I have made 100s of cakes w/b'cream filling and crumbcoat covered in fondant and never frig'd any of them.  Follow ypierce82's advice :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%