Making A Figurine Out Of Gumpaste - Multiple Issues!

Decorating By LynneCakes Updated 26 Sep 2017 , 5:47pm by LynneCakes

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 25 Sep 2017 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 8

I'll run a search here since I'm not the first to experience this.  I am trying to make owl toppers for a wedding cake.  I'm using Satin Ice gum paste.  Questions:

#1.  It is brutally hot and muggy here in Sudbury this week (over 37 Celcius) and although I work close to my air conditioner and do use shortening when I feel the gumpaste is too dry, the figures are STILL cracking!  What else can I do?  Work in glycerine?  

#2.  To make something like this that does require time to work, is it better to use 50/50 fondant & gumpaste vs pure gumpaste?  I thought gumpaste would be better as it would dry faster.

#3.  It is NOT drying faster.  Made these 2 days ago and still fairly soft.  Which brings me to my final question.  How can I dry these so that the bodies don't begin to "slouch" down?  I want them to keep the body shape I originally mold.  I had to prop them against containers since they began slouching backwards as well.  So now they are slouching just down which of course is making them more squat and is causing cracks!  The medium is soft to begin so how do you preserve the shape and not cause indents?

#4.  Last one.  Heads.  They take a while to sculpt so how do you support them and not cause indents on the back?  

Making A Figurine Out Of Gumpaste - Multiple Issues!

7 replies
yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 25 Sep 2017 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 8

I sometimes use a 50/50 mix of gum paste and fondant.  I have some powdered sugar and corn starch mix that I pour into a bowl or box that is deep enough to hold my figures and let the figures dry in it.  That way I can shape them and push the sugar mix to conform to my figures.  You might give that a try.  I hope this is written in an understandable way.  You can use powdered sugar or corn starch (I believe you call it corn flour) or a mixture of both.  I just happen to have a little corn starch and a lot of powdered sugar.

LynneCakes Posted 25 Sep 2017 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah I've been googling like crazy and this is a VERY common issue.  I think I need to try gumpaste/fondant mix.  Also putting in a screwer that runs from top to bottom is a common suggestion.  I just worry about drying time.  Two days in and the 100% gumpaste bodies STILL are not dry.  If I use a mix, it will take longer.  Dang.  This is for October 6th so Friday of next week.  

So you dry your sugar sculptures in a mix of cornstarch & icing sugar to prevent dents when drying?  I'll try this for the heads too since I hate that "dented" back from the surface they need to rest on while I'm working on the details of the face.

I think what I need to do is redo the bodies and let them dry in that kind of soft medium for a couple of days, then hope no sagging or cracks appear!  I don't want squat owls :(

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2017 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 8

what i do is make a ball out of the medium and let it set up -- if it flattens it's too soft -- add more starch -- mix it in really really well -- repeat -- don't do all that work and guess about the results -- 

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 26 Sep 2017 , 1:41am
post #5 of 8

Satin ice can be a little soft. I'd consider kneading in a little tylose rather than adding fondant to it, then work quickly with it

sorry you are having issues, humidity and gum paste figuirines = bad combo :(

LynneCakes Posted 26 Sep 2017 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 8

Yeah I used the combo (Satin Ice gumpaste plus Satin Ice fondant) and it worked for a small sitting figure I am making for a cake due this Friday.  For the owls I will be making a base of RKT.  Even the heads STILL aren't dry!  I don't know why I didn't think of RKT before.  I made my fish this way plus from my Harry Potter cake the "Monster Book" and "Sorting Hat" were RKT.  Works great!  Dah.....

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 26 Sep 2017 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 8

you could use rice Krispie treat balls for the inside of your body and head, then cover them with fondant. A big ball of fondant/gumpaste would take a good while to dry because no air gets to the middle of it. By the way those owls are adorable!

LynneCakes Posted 26 Sep 2017 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 8

Yup, that is exactly what I'll be doing!  

Quote by @Bakerlady2 on 1 hour ago

you could use rice Krispie treat balls for the inside of your body and head, then cover them with fondant. A big ball of fondant/gumpaste would take a good while to dry because no air gets to the middle of it. By the way those owls are adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%