How To Price For Sculpted Cake/how Many People Will It Serve?

Baking By Jocey1358 Updated 23 Sep 2017 , 7:04pm by kakeladi

Jocey1358 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocey1358 Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hello!

So this is a 3 part question..

1. How do you know what sizes to make this cake to serve 35-40 people? This would be my first sculpted cake so any tips would help.

2. Do you make it all out of cake or should i use rice crispies for some of it?

3. How in the world do I price this cake? I know prices vary depending on where you live but any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!!

c08ec7d886b95b026904b7efa6fcd94e.jpg

4 replies
Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 5

Hmm to make that 40 servings it will be very big as it has that tall narrow look? I'd probably make it all cake so it would count as servings. 

I suppose you could start with a half sheet cake for the body and work around that?. Bake two half sheets and try to use as much as possible of the cakes that would mean you have enough servings assuming they cut it correctly 

i do not sell cakes but carved cakes take a long time. If I were to sell a carved cake I suppose I'd have to charge at least $200 to make it even close to worth my time and for a large 40 servings one probably $300.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2017 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 5

a 12" cake serves 56 -- for a sculpture you have to be generous on the amount of servings you use to account for strange sized servings that will be cut --

so i would bake a small loaf cake for the head and a two layer 12" -- fill the 12" like a regular layer cake -- then cut it just over from the half way mark and stand the larger piece up cut side down -- that's the body -- fashion the tail & feet out of the remainder --

i would charge $9, $10 per serving

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2017 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with everything @-K8memphis ‍ said regarding construction method.  All four legs could be made from one generous thickness of a six inch cake, cut into four equal pieces...like cuting a pie.  I would probably charge $5.00 to $6.00 per serving in my rural market.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2017 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 5

I have made a dino like that several times - one below.  Just a single layer round  cut in 1/2 & put together as K8 said - any size you want.  Placed on a sheet cake you should have 45 servings easily using an 8" or 9" round on a 12x16 or 12x18 sheet.  For a head and the tail scraps of cake &/or all icing.  You could use RKTs instead.    K8's suggestion is great too.  Boy's Dinosauer Birthday on Cake CentralAs for priceing I'd don't know as I don't sell anymore :(  Looks like you could come between K8s & Sandra's prices depending on where you live etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%