Need Help Making These Wings

Decorating By Grammy_Cakes08 Updated 20 Sep 2017 , 2:46pm by SandraSmiley

Grammy_Cakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 3:57am
post #1 of 9

Hello can someone please tell me how I can create the angel wings like in the picture I have posted? And I also want to know how to attach it to the cake? The cake is due in a few days so I won't have any time to purchase any wing mold or cutters. Thank you:)

8 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 4:29am
post #2 of 9

Since you don't have time to order cutters or molds, you could  find a picture of wings online, print it out, cut it out, and use it as a template to make them out of gumpaste. You need to do this ASAP as they need drying time in order to stand away from the cake. In order to dry them so they follow the shape of the cake, you could dry them on parchment paper around styrofoam or the cake pans (taped together). To attach them, I would use melted chocolate or royal icing. 

ypierce82 Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 4:34am
post #3 of 9

But by the impression that I see on each "feather" it looks like they were done using a sunflower or Daisy veined cutter. Cute cake. 

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 4:58am
post #4 of 9

Hello @ypierce82 ‍ thank for getting back to me right away. I was thinking the same thing to about using daisy cutters. Do you think I should cut the outlining of the wings and then attach the daisy petals to it individually? I hope that makes sense lol. Thanks for you help.

ypierce82 Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 9

You're welcome. You could do it that way, and wouldn't need to dry it over a form. It's just hard to say how it was done with this cake, but whichever way you go, the end result will be the same. 

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 3:08am
post #7 of 9

I would definitely cut a wing shape from a solid piece of gum paste so you have something on which to paste your feathers.  Using a daisy cutter or similar would make it easy to do the feathers.  I cut each feather individually and added the makings with my Xacto knife.  If you have a veiner, it would be faster.

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 5:08am
post #8 of 9

Wow nice job! Yes that's exactly how I'm making it. I'm in the process of doing it right now. Thank you for sharing! @sandrasm

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 9

Your cake is going to be gorgeous, @Grammy_Cakes08 ‍!  I can't wait to see!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%