Pvc For Fondant, Etc.

Decorating By tootiefruity Updated 18 Sep 2017 , 6:07pm by tootiefruity

tootiefruity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootiefruity Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 4

My question pertains to the cleaning of the pvc before use. Has anyone removed the barcode and manufacturer info from the pvc pipe, and, if so, with what? I saw a video of cleaning it with acetone (nail polish remover), but can't find anything on cleaning for fondant/gumpaste use. My thought was to clean it with the acetone and then wash it well with the blue Dawn. But, how often do we get a mani/pedi where acetone is used to remove all the (basically) plastic coating from our fingers and toes, just to have it reapplied? However, having said that, I would imagine it to be okay. Thanks...Fran

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 4

I never bother to remove the printing on the PVC pipe, just wash it in hot soapy water, but I see no reason why you could not use acetone to remove the writing, then wash well.  It would take a LONG time for acetone to dissolve PVC pipe!  I use PVC for chocolate sculptures which will never be eaten, so I am not overly concerned beyond a good washing.  When I use PVC for a central support on a cake, I cover it with a heavy coating of Crisco before sliding on the cakes.  I have even wrapped it tightly with cling film.

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 4

Organic pipe cleaner it's in the pluming isle, then rinse and run through the dishwasher a couple times on  the disinfecting cycle. A finesand paper works too. If you want to use acetone, don't get the liquid kind, get the ones that are towelettes. It takes a lot of acetone to damage pvc, you won't be using that much. Also put it on the dishwasher after that. If you live near a  medical store and are really worried about using acetone buy the towelettes  or liquid for people with lupus. It's a different  chemical formulation.

tootiefruity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootiefruity Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you SandraSmiley and Alohilani for your helpful comments. However, as I have seen many tutorials where the instructor/baker was using the pvc to roll out the fondant and then rolling over the pvc to apply to the cake, I'm going to guess about 50/50 on the number of times I've seen the writing on the pvc. Of course, I suppose you might call me picky or a perfectionist since I'd rather not see the writing. But, I guess I don't need to be so picky about that and a good washing should do the trick. As for a disinfecting cycle on the dishwasher, Alohilani, I don't have that option on my dishwasher. But thanks anyway.

Have a great day!  Fran

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%