Help With Thawing Frozen Fondant Cake!

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 18 Sep 2017 , 6:03am by ypierce82

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 7

Alright so last week for the first time ever I made the mistake of getting my dates mixed up and made a wedding cake that's due this week instead of last! Anyways after the panic I looked up and realized it can be frozen.  I placed the finished cake in a cake box, saran wrapped it 3-4 times and then wrapped the whole thing with foil and stored it in the freezer last Sat.  

Now that's its time to thaw I'm getting nervous as I have another fully booked weekend and having to re-do this cake is the last thing I want to do. The cake is needed for delivery at 11am on Sunday for a 5pm reception.  A little info, I ALWAYS deliver a fully chilled cake.  So this is where I'm a little confused. 

Saturday morning I take the cake from the freezer and leave it still wrapped up in foil/saran in the fridge until Sunday say 9am.  Once I check all is well, do I deliver the cake as is as if I made this cake on today (Friday) I leave the cake in the fridge to be chilled until sunday. When the cake is taken out for the event, by the time it's cut it's come to room temperature. My only fear is which it sweat then because it was previously frozen? See if the cake was finished today, then I have no issues or concerns about what will have to the cake on Sunday evening as I've never had sweating fondant issue.  The ONLY reason I'm concerned is due to freezing it. Now can I be sure once it's in the fridge thawing for 24 hours, I'm good to assume nothing happened and delete the part I froze the car last week?

I hope I make sense lol

6 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 7

I would put it in the fridge until delivery, as normal. It is going to sweat, not because it was in the freezer, but coming from cool air to warmer air, even of the ac is on. The sweat will dry up in no time, as long as the fondant doesn't get touched, it will be fine. 

ypierce82 Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 7

You could even take it out of the freezer Friday night and place in the fridge, just to give it more time. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 7

By now you should have taken it from fzr to frig.   Leave it there until time for delivery and all should be just fine.  As ypierce82 said, the sweating should dry up and fondant be fine if it's not touched at all.  Do keep us informed how it all works out :)

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks ladies! I braved myself and took it out friday evening and this morning (12 hours later) I took the wrapping off and cake looks perfect and dont see any sweating etc. Fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow with it. 

ypierce82 Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 6:03am
post #6 of 7

You're welcome! Glad everything worked out!

ypierce82 Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 6:03am
post #7 of 7

You're welcome! Glad everything worked out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%