Cupcakes At Room Temp

Decorating By smile22 Updated 14 Sep 2017 , 9:05pm by kakeladi

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 12 Sep 2017 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make 108 cupcakes for a wedding on Saturday and the temps are going to be 79 on Friday anything I can do to insure my icings won't melt 

I'm doing a chocolate buttercream marshmallow buttercream  cream cheese icing and American buttercream none of my buttercreams use shorting 

4 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 4:56am
post #2 of 5

I hope the cupcakes will be in doors with air conditioning for the reception. The all shortening buttercream is much better for outdoor weddings with hot weather. I am not so sure about cream cheese frosting with marshmallow. The others here should be able to tell you if they will melt or not. 

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 6:12am
post #3 of 5

Are these going to be inside or outside? Being that they are on cupcakes and not cake, you might have more leeway with melting issues (because it isn't effecting the structure of a cake) BUT you still might want to rethink the cream cheese since it's the softest and less sturdy.  I did a cake the other week and was worried about the frosting holding up in 82-84 degree temps so I subbed some of the butter in my normal recipe and used hi-ratio shortening. Held up very well. 

Again, being that they are cupcakes, I might not sure you have the same worries as if you were using it to fill and frost a cake, but if they are indoors, I'm sure you'll be fine (keep out of sunlight), but if they will be outdoors, make a small batch of your frosting, put it on a random cupcake, and test it outside your house. See if melts or stays put! 

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 11:24am
post #4 of 5

Hi deserts will be inside a house with the ac on not worried about that I'm more worried about making the cupcakes during the day and frosting them and having the buttercreams start to melt temps in New England are going to be 78 tomorrow and cool down to 65 at night. 

My cream cheese icing has no marshmallow in it 

I do a separate marshmallow buttercream it's American buttercream but I add in a small jar of fluff. 

Does anyone have a good hi ratio buttercream that does not taste like shortening? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 5

With temps like that there should not totally NO problem :)  I have had problems w/ cr ch icings.  The only one I have found that works for me) is Earlene Moore's.  It's posted on her website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%