First Use Of Cake Lace - Ug!

Decorating By LynneCakes Updated 11 Sep 2017 , 1:02pm by LynneCakes

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 10 Sep 2017 , 12:33am
post #1 of 3

Wow, that stuff needs an experienced hand!  First it was full of bubbles.  Second, there must be an easier way to apply it!  It is so malleable that trying to get it where I wanted (black on blue....dah) was so frustrating.  Any words of advice?  

Also, I'm having issues with my account here.  I was trying to post pictures of this cake but it wouldn't let me do it.  I could just start a new conversation.

First Use Of Cake Lace - Ug!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2017 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 3

i like your cake -- those waves are cool -- looks like a "this is your life" type cake -- some of my favorites --

yeah cake lace is a bit of a learning curve -- letting the first coat set up then apply another coat on top of that can help with bubbles -- as well as letting the mixture sit for a while and stir it to release the bubbles --

but i love your cake -- it all looks great clap

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 11 Sep 2017 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you!  Yes, it was exactly that type of cake.  John loves to pick currants and blueberries, hence the bottom tier.  We also have monthly concerts at our building which he always attends.  Lastly, he is from Nova Scotia originally, hence the waves and Sambro Island lighthouse.  I couldn't figure out a way to link all three but watching "Cake Hunters" on TV, they have completely separate themed tiers all the time!  So I went with it.  Always something I would change after the fact (like making the J a green to match the currant leaves), but the cake was a hit with the birthday boy which is ultimately all that matters.

I did two coats of the cake lace on the music notes and several more on the "Happy 65th Birthday".  That one was a mold sold at Michael's by "Sugarveil".  Really shallow.  Still so fragile!  Well, the music notes were fairly sturdy I should say, but a pain in the butt to apply especially since they were black.  Oh and I also baked the cake lace on my lowest oven setting (170).  I heard that letting it air dry can help with bubbles.  

Since I ordered Claire Bowman white cake lace but the company sent me "Confectioners Choice" instead, they sent me the Claire Bowman free of charge!  So aside from 1/2 container of the black cake lace (Confectioners Choice), I also have two full containers of white.  Maybe the brand matters too?  I am worried about trying a lace mould since I found application so difficult.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%