Does Anyone Make Chocolate Bonbons/truffles?

Business By HajraK Updated 26 Sep 2017 , 1:27am by HajraK

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 7 Sep 2017 , 4:26am
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone!

I am primarily a cake, cookies, cupcakes baker but am interested in trying my hand at making chocolate bonbons. Most of my sales are of the first few items and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum also sells chocolate bonbons/truffles?

i like the look of them, especially the fancy gem style bonbons, but from a practical standpoint, I'm not sure if the kinds of people who mostly buy from me would be interested in that type of thing because 1) they would probably be pricier than the simpler items mentioned above and 2) I can just imagine people saying "it's just chocolate".

im thinking of just buying one mold for now and see how it goes, but what to do about pricing? The closest thing I've made to a truffle or bonbon is an Oreo truffles which I price at $20/dozen. 

Any tips on whether this is another good item to add to my repertoire and how to go about pricing them would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

4 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 7 Sep 2017 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 5

I've made bon bons for several years now. You should research your area and see what the market for them is. 

They would be higher priced because of extra labor, colored cocoa butters, molds, etc. They are time consuming, especially mold prep and cleaning. I try to plan them in stages-cleaning-polishing molds, decorating, line with chocolate, let set (I have a large capacity tempering machine), add filling, let set, then cap and un-mold. 

Mine are priced from 4 piece for $10, to 24 piece for $50. I also make them for events around Pebble Beach and Carmel, CA and don't really have any problems with the price. Others areas, might be too expensive. 

Does Anyone Make Chocolate Bonbons/truffles?

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 7 Sep 2017 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 5

And I'm tired of fighting with this website trying to flip my photo it upside down. But you get the idea.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Sep 2017 , 12:23am
post #4 of 5

Who doesn't love anything made with chocolate? These look really good!!!

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 26 Sep 2017 , 1:27am
post #5 of 5

Wow I don't know how I didn't see your responses earlier but thank you! Rychevamp your chocolates are beautiful!

I bought myself a mold but was disappointed with how small the end results was. I don't think I live in an area where I can reasonably market a dozen of them for $20 (at best). I'm comparing this to my Oreo truffles which I sell, at a much bigger size per truffles, and sell at $20/dozen. They are somewhat popular. I bought the Wilton bigger gem mold for a cheaper price and will see how that goes.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%