Gold Sequin Cake

Decorating By TRSmith1716 Updated 18 Aug 2017 , 3:12pm by inthekitchen2

TRSmith1716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRSmith1716 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 13

Hi! I would like to know if there's a way that I can make a gold sequence cake without using fondant? Would I be able to get the sequence to attach to the buttercream and use the gold luster dust to paint it?

12 replies
kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 13

I've done a gold sequin buttercream cake, and it worked really well. I used a crusting buttercream and just brushed it with a super thin layer of piping gel to make the sequins stick. Of course, I'm sure you could also just press them in to the buttercream before it crusts over. I don't have an airbrush, so I found it easier to color my sequins gold before putting them on the cake.

TRSmith1716 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 13

@kryptonite Hi! Thanks for the response. How did you color them gold before adding them?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 13

Are you asking if you can ice the cake in b'cream and not fondant?  Yes it is possible.  Here's a gret recipe you could use:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing   Use the crusting details at the end of the recipe.  Make the 'sequins' from very thinnly rolled fondant, cut w/the small end of a small round tip (like a #2,#3 or #4)  & dry them on a thick pad of paper toweling.  Then as the other poster said, put them into a baggie w/gold dust OR paint them w/gold piping gel.

Or did you want to know how to make sequins w/o making them out of fondant?  For that the only thing I can think of is to pipe gold piping gel dots. 

TRSmith1716 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 13

@kakeladi Thanks for the response! I have been watching a few tutorials and I see a lot of people painting the colorful sequin gold after applying them to the cake, but  I wasn't sure if I could do that using buttercream.

kryptonite Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 13

I mixed up a "paint" from gold luster dust and Everclear in a Tupperware container. Then I added my sprinkles, put on the lid, and gave them a good shake. If I felt like they needed a bit more coverage, I just added a little more luster dust and shook it up again. Then I spread them out on a piece of parchment for a couple minutes to dry. It took me less than 5 minutes to color 3 tiers worth of sequins this way :) Let me know if you have any questions!

kryptonite Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 13

I mixed up a "paint" from gold luster dust and Everclear in a Tupperware container. Then I added my sprinkles, put on the lid, and gave them a good shake. If I felt like they needed a bit more coverage, I just added a little more luster dust and shook it up again. Then I spread them out on a piece of parchment for a couple minutes to dry. It took me less than 5 minutes to color 3 tiers worth of sequins this way :) Let me know if you have any questions!

kryptonite Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 13

TRSmith1716 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 13

Ok great! Thanks for your help! I will do it this way!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 13

You can buy pre-made gold sequins.  Wilton makes them. 

You can also buy edible gold spray--Wilton makes that too, but I prefer the ChefMaster brand or PME.  It takes several coats to get it right, as they soak up the spray.  Let them dry between coats.

You can pre-paint them, but it's easier to do it after they're on the cake.  http://thecakeblog.com/gold-sequin-cake-tutorial

If you make your own paint, it needs to be done using a truly edible luster dust.  If a dust is described as non-toxic, or for decorative use only, it is NOT EDIBLE.  An edible dust will have an ingredients list and cite FDA certified colors as having been used.  Roxy & Rich makes a hybrid sparkle dust that works really well.

https://www.roxyandrich.com/food-coloring/hybrid-sparkle-dust

TRSmith1716 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 13

Have you ever painted the crusted buttercream gold before?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 13

If I need a gold crusted BC surface, I use the spray--several light coats, dried in between. 

You can certainly do it with a soft, wide pastry brush on very dry, smooth BC. You need a light touch.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 18 Aug 2017 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 13

I agree that Wilton makes them now. You can save yourself time by just buying them already gold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%