Wedding Differences

Lounge By Cakey-Pin Updated 14 Aug 2017 , 8:41pm by kakeladi

Cakey-Pin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey-Pin Posted 10 Aug 2017 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 13

I'm from Scotland and I love reading about all the differences in wedding's between here and overseas.  

I'm prepared to stand corrected by other UK bakers but one difference is that we normally don't have a Groom's cake, what is that?  I know it's obviously for the Groom but is it in addition to the Wedding cake, is it served at the wedding?

Also, what is the "normal" format for weddings?  We usually have the ceremony (whether Religious or non Religious), then on to the venue, if it's in a different place to the ceremony).  This is normally when the Wedding party go away to have photo's taken and the guests hang about chatting, having a drink and some nibbles.  When the party comes back it's time for the cake cutting, speeches and then dinner although the cake cutting can be after dinner as well.  Then the reception where the Bride and Groom have their first dance and when additional guests come to join in and party with everyone.

Is this pretty standard everywhere?

12 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Aug 2017 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 13

The sequence of events you have described is fairly standard in the USA, as well.  Yes, the groom's cake is in addition to the wedding cake and is often a different flavor to give guests a choice or is a favorite of the groom.  While wedding cakes are usually quite formal, the groom's cakes are usually fun and playful, reflecting something with special meaning to the groom, such as a hunting cake, a truck cake or a dragon, etc.  It is a way to honor the man, who is often overlooked in the elaborate preparation for the wedding.

Cakemum1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemum1 Posted 10 Aug 2017 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 13

Exactly

Cakey-Pin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey-Pin Posted 10 Aug 2017 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 13

Is the cake normally put out for a dessert?  We usually put it out along with the evening buffet.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Aug 2017 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 13

We do the same.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 11 Aug 2017 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 13

The groom's cake is not for all of the United States, maybe more southern? I don't know, but we don't have them where I live. I've never been to a wedding with one nor have I had an order for one.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 11 Aug 2017 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 13

I think the groom's cake is more of a Southern thing. Growing up in Georgia, all my relatives that got married all had a groom's cake, usually chocolate.  But, after moving to CA, I've never seen one, and a lot of people had never heard of that. And I've never been asked to make one. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Aug 2017 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 13

Oh I've done some here in CA.  And a few when I was in IN too :)  Not wildly popular but some......

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Aug 2017 , 12:28am
post #9 of 13

Maybe it is primarily a southern tradition.  Almost every wedding here, middle Tennessee, large or small, has a groom's cake.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 14 Aug 2017 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 13

Northern Ohio - I've never been asked to make one, nor been to a wedding with a groom's cake.  I did watch Steal Magnolia's, though :)

mrsroy44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsroy44 Posted 14 Aug 2017 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 13

I've never done a grooms cake here (in Canada.) Is it a fairly newish tradition? Some of the ones I've seen are very creative!

Apart from that, it's more or less the same ole traditions here too :)

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2017 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 13

My son-in-law, who was career Airforce, had a fighter jet (made by my sister) as his groom's cake 32 years ago.  Been a "southern" thing for a long time, lol.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Aug 2017 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 13

No, it's not new....I did some as long as 25(+/-) yrs ago.  Here in CA there are not all that popular but I bet I've done more than a dozen over the yrs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%