Cake Lace 101 Request

Decorating By LynneCakes Updated 4 Aug 2017 , 5:58pm by LynneCakes

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 5

I have never used cake lace so need some suggestions.  First, which tools do you find essential? I have a small (and also a tiny) angled pallet knife but I've seen all types of tools used.  Are they really needed? Also, I'm unsure what color I will be using.  Can you color white cake lace black, or is it adviseable to just buy black cake lace?  The background color of my cake will be Fondx blue (so fairly dark) sprayed with PME pearl spray.  I'm doing a music note cake lace.  It will either be white or black.  Any suggestions on that front too?  

Thank you in advance.

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 5

I am a bit confused, @LynneCakes ‍.  Are you going to make your lace yourself or buy it already made?  You mentioned a pallet knife and I thought you meant for spreading the cake lace into the molds, but then you mentioned purchasing the lace.....did you mean the lace already made or the cake lace material with which to make the lace?

I use my large, off-set spatula to spread the mixture into the lace molds, no special equipment necessary.  If you are uncertain which color to use, you can buy white cake lace and die it black, if you decide to go that way.  Since it would require a considerable amount of gel color to change white to black, you might want to cut back on the amount of liquid a bit.

LynneCakes Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Sandra.  No, I'm buying the mix which I take it you whip up at home in a stand mixer. I just got the Claire Bowman white cake lace (not premixed) and the Fabulace black cake lace (also not premixed).  I couldn't find any reviews of the latter so hope it works out!  I too was worried about the amount of colouring needed to get black.  Yes, I meant what do people use to spread the mix into the mould.  All type of knives and spreaders are sold so I wasn't sure if those were REALLY needed.  Glad to hear a pallet knife is sufficient!

Also, are two layers really needed?  Kind of gets expensive since the 200 grams of mix cost $25 CDN!  I think I read that it will cover 14 small moulds so if doing double, that's only 7!  I probably need 3 moulds to do the 8" round so...

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 5

I always do at least two layers and sometimes three, depending upon the mold I am using, just to be sure all the nooks and crannies are filled.  It really goes a long way.  I've never used purchased cake lace, just make it myself and it is really, really cheap.  There are lots of tutorials on YouTube which includes the recipe.

LynneCakes Posted 4 Aug 2017 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 5

Good to know!  I didn't realize you could actually make your own so I'll keep this in mind once I get through my 200 grams of white and black.  Dang....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%