Cake Boards W/ Holes!?

Decorating By amandagregoryyy Updated 2 Aug 2017 , 2:32am by Imnewhere

amandagregoryyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandagregoryyy Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 5:59am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know of a supplier that sells cake circles with holes in the center?  I need to be able to stick a dowel through them easily once tiers are stacked...instead of puncturing it through them myself.  It's easier to disassemble the cake that way.  I usually get the Wilton ones at Michaels but the sizing is limited and I don't believe the smaller ones have the holes in them.  Thanks!  

8 replies
amandagregoryyy Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 6:20am
post #2 of 9

or maybe even something that can punch a hole in cardboard? haha something less time consuming!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 9

You mention cardboard, but cakethings.com sells foamcore cake boards that you can buy with (or without) a hole - and you specify the size of said hole.  I do not use a center dowel, so I don't order the ones with holes, but love the foamcore boards rather than cardboard.

amandagregoryyy Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking what do you use instead of a dowel?

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 9

I don't use anything in the center.  For two and three tiered cakes, I simply use fat straws for support and transport cold cakes.  For anything more than three tiers (or for wedding cakes of any size) I will use SPS.  I've never had a cake slide or shift in transport (knock on wood!).

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 9

Nothing with two or more tiers leaves my shop without a center dowel.  I use the method where you glue the center dowel into the base, then slide the tiers down over the dowel.  An added benefit is that the cakes are always centered with no measuring.

I buy my 1" thick foamcore bases with 1/2 inc hole predrilled from www.cakethings.com.  I cut my own tier boards with a Lion Ev-R-Round cutter.  I cut the center hole with a 1/2 inch Foam Werks foamcore drill. I don't order tier boards because I like to measure the actual size of a baked layer, then cut the board 1/2 inch wider...works perfect for me!

I also chill my tiered cakes overnight in the cooler and deliver in heavy-duty cardboard boxes.  I've driven 3-4 hours to deliver with no issues.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 9

Some of Wilton's cake boards have holes already in them.  I think it is the 8".  

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 1 Aug 2017 , 1:55am
post #8 of 9

Wilton boards, i believe every size that they make has holes in the center.  Positive about 8,10,12 boards, you can buy them at walmart. 

When I run out of boards or have last minute orders I go there, because my cake store is closed

Imnewhere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Imnewhere Posted 2 Aug 2017 , 2:32am
post #9 of 9

I found some at Michaels ($$$) and Party City ($) as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%