Help With Frosting

Decorating By CheetahMom Updated 27 Jul 2017 , 7:37pm by CheetahMom

CheetahMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheetahMom Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 7:53am
post #1 of 5

Hello! My baby girl turns one Friday. We have decided on Minnie mouse, and while I'll do a normal double 6 on top of a double 8, her smash cake is giving me pause. 

Overall, my questions are these. 

1. Cakes are already baked with a very easy WCBC crumb coat (the larger cakes). Can I decorate them tonight (Thursday) , and will they keep until Sunday? 

2. My smash cake inspiration is (hopefully) attached below. I have a single, slightly oversized 4", that hasn't been cut, as I'm wanting to keep the shape. I baked this in a small mixing bowl, and it is the second perfectly shaped cake, straight out of the pan. Yay! Now. Can this cake be decorated ASAP, as her photo shoot is Friday evening? I didn't freeze or crumb coat, I wrapped it in plastic wrap, and put it in an airtight container. However, it's a little sticky. How do I remedy this? Also, the top - most 4 inch layer, I didn't cut either, because as with the bowl cake, it came out with a perfect dome on top. This is perfect, as I'm doing minnie mouse ears. 

Final question, as I totally forgot about it! I made my fondant decorations 2 weeks ago. 2 sets of ears (fondant over cardboard, bc I didn't want anything heavy), and about 75 hot pink and black polka dots.  The ears have faded around the very edges, how can I fix that? Also, my polka dots didn't absorb the powder sugar, so there's still some white spots on them. How can I get rid of them? 

I'm sorry for such a crazy long first post! I have been lurking through this site for years, ever since I started just making dessert for after dinner, lol! Help With Frosting

4 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 5

Love that smash cake!  Just my opinion, but here goes....you can go ahead and decorate.  The sugar in the icing will preserve the moistness in the cake for several days.  For the smashcake, just go ahead and ice it.  Or you can just let it dry for a few minutes and then ice.  For the decorations, first, I would try a little shortening.  Rub it into the dot and then gently rub it back off with your finger or a papertowel.  If that doesn't work, you may want to go over them with either petal dust or a gel paste/vodka mixture.  Somebody else may have a better idea...I learn a ton on here!  Good luck, and please post pictures!  Can't wait to see how it turns out!

CheetahMom Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you cutiger! I just know that I wouldn't be really stressed for time, but that tomorrow we'd be privately celebrating, and Saturday I'd be decorating the house. So wanted to space stuff out! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 5

You very definetely can do most or all of the work you want any time .....Cake will last up to 3 days at room temp - as long as it is not hot & humid inside.  Or you can frig any of it.  If you do , it's best to put it in a cake box and when you take it out, do NOT open it for at least an hour.  This shoud prevent sweating.  If there is still any moisture just do NOT touch the cake at all - like they say on those cake decorating shows - "STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE" or 'HANDS OFF YOUR CAKES'. LOL!  As for the edges of the ears.......best to thin a bit of gel color w/vodka or such and paint it.   

CheetahMom Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I haven't messed with fondant much beyond making my gender reveal cake topper, and that was perfect. I was just thinking maybe it's bc I stretched the black fondant too much! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%