Almond And Lemon In Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Baking By nancylee61 Updated 20 Jul 2017 , 11:49am by yortma

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

Haven't baked in a long time and I'm making a wedding cake for my daughter's best friend with Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting. One tier is almond, two are lemon. I used Almond Emulsion and Lemon oil in the cake itself, but can they be used in a SMBC, or do I have to rely on Extracts, which I really don't like.

I appreciate any advice,

nancy

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 8

Though I have only made SMBC once I think you would not have a problem using the Almond Emulsion but not sure about the lemon.  Oil probably would be a problem in Meringue icing.  But thin as I said, I have only made it once many yrs ago so maybe someone who uses it more will jump in here w/more information for you.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 8

I use lemon oil (and orange, lime) in SMB all the time.  They are far more flavorful and less bitter.  Just be careful because it is stronger and a little goes a long way, but will blend in beautifully.  Add a little limoncello or amaretto  for over the top buttercream. I would also recommend adding some vanilla as well, which I think mellows and balances the flavors.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 8

yortma is right about using a blend of flavors.  It helps greatly.  That's why I have recommended in my posts to use a combination of  vanilla, butter flavor, and almond or lemon.  The complexness of the flavoring improves your icing so much.

Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 8

If you're not happy with the results from the lemon oil, you should actually try some fresh lemon zest and juice if you're practising. I've mixed both into SMBC once with pleasant outcomes.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 8

HI,

Thank you all!!! Great suggestions!! There is nothing in the world that vanilla doesn't make better, right??

How do you deal with the zest texture? I hate it when it gets in my mouth/teeth??? 

Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 8

You know, I don't think it affected the texture at all. I believe I used the zest and juice of 1 lemon in a 1.5 pound batch of SMBC. My zester grates very finely and I just don't remember noticing any bits of it when I was eating it afterward. I'm sure they were still in there, my mixing couldn't have dissolved the zest obviously, but they must have been so fine that they incorporated well enough. And 1 lemon was plenty of lemon flavor for that amount of icing. If you use American Buttercream, keep in mind your results may vary. Swiss is pretty different in texture and composition.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 11:49am
post #8 of 8

Another way to make a fantastic lemon SMBC is to mix in lemon curd.  I use the lemon curd recipe from the cake bible and cook it down at 190 degrees for an extra 20 mins so it is extra thick (also a plus for using it as a filling).  If I am using it for the frosting, I leave out the zest.  It will make a very pale yellow color frosting, but so good! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%